Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkm6943 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Social security disability : is it taxable?
    I have just been approved for social security disability and would like to know if the back award is taxable or if themonthly benefit is taxable?
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 3, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I would try IRS.gov or SS.gov to see if it is or not
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Yes it gives you links to go to so you can research it yourself
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
    No need to research.

Social Security Disability CAN be taxable if it is on top of other taxable income. However, for most people, it is NOT taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Disability Garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

Can my social security disability benefits be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt?

Social Security, VA disability, and Judgements [ 4 Answers ]

I am on Social Security disability, and also veterans disability. I have a son who is 32 who has had a hard start in life that I am putting through college. I have recently taken on a company that handles credit problems. I am up to my ears with credit card debt, so I have enlisted Credit Solutions...

Social Security Disability? And a child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband was married 12 years ago , and got a divorce. The mother of his son they had, remarried four years ago. My husband fell ill and almost died from diebeities complications. During this time recoporating he than went on SSD for Mental Illness,bi-polar. His ex wife took him to court and...

Social security disability [ 3 Answers ]

I filed for SSI disability several years ago and received it. At the time I didn't know what was wrong with me. I have found out recently that I have lyme disease and the doctor thinks I have had it since I was in 8th grade. That would be over forty years. At the time I filed for SSID I didn't...

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search