Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dusty123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Can I change my son's surname on his birth certificate
    My son was born in 2001 and due to very personal circumstances his father remains unknown. At the time of his birth I gave him my married surname because that is the name I was using then. I have since gone back to my maiden name and would like to have his surname changed to MY maiden name as well, BEFORE he starts 1st grade this fall . How would I go about doing this?Is it as simple as going to the Dept. of Vital Statistics? Or do I need a attorney? I am in the state of Alabama if this has any bearing on the answer. Thanks to anyone who can share their knowledge on this.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
    OK... is there a father'name on BC... were you married when your son was born... what about the divorce decree?

Jul 5, 2007, 07:31 PM
    To GV70:

No , the father is listed as "unknown".. Yes, I was married at the time of his birth but separated. My ex is in no way responsible for the being of this child and he acknowledges this in the divorce decree .
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty123
    to GV70:

No , the father is listed as "unknown"..Yes, I was married at the time of his birth but separated. My ex is in no way responsible for the being of this child and he acknowledges this in the divorce decree .
    Wow
    A man is "conclusively presumed" to be the father of a child if he is both married to and cohabiting with the mother... how it was resolved in your divorce decree?
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Maybe it will be easy...

Jul 5, 2007, 07:49 PM
    We were not "cohabitating"... we were separated... there is also a older child who IS the child of my ex... no question there... my ex in no way claims paternity for the child in question... would there have to something in writing from him or a DNA before childs' name could be changed?
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Alabama Name Change Forms and Name Change Law

Jul 5, 2007, 07:52 PM
    OK... Now... what do I need to do first and it is expensive??
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 07:57 PM
    A formal request for the name change (petition) is filed with the District Clerk's office at the county court house.The petition requesting a name change is filed in the county where the child lives. A judge is required to consider the "best interest" of the child in determining whether to change the legal name of a minor child. Generally unless a party files an answer and objection to the child's name changed the judge will routinely approve the request for a change of name.

Jul 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Thank you so much for your help... do you have any idea how long this might take and any idea about the costs?
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty123
    thank you so much for your help.....do you have any idea how long this might take and any idea about the costs?
    I do not know:confused:
    Family Law Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 08:20 PM
    It depends on the judges' vacation and local taxes
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 01:04 PM
    The guy sounds like a jerk

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to change my son's name [ 10 Answers ]

Can anyone help?? Never married my son's father so I gave our son my last name and he wouldn't sign the birth certificate we established paternity so he could pay child support, we have joint custody he never sees his son went to court the judge suspended his visittation rights but we still have...

Changing my son's surname [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the UK. Ten years ago I met and had a relationship with someone by whom I became pregnant. I had a son. The father couldn't be bothered to even turn up for the birth and wanted me to go partying with him the next day as I lay recovering from a Caesarian. I should have realised...

Birth Certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé just left for Iraq this week. We are expecting a baby in November. Since we aren't married how can he be put on the baby's birth certificate?

Change of surname of my child [ 6 Answers ]

I have a daughter and I didn't married her father. But I had my baby's surname after her father's. Now. Her father and I broke up because our relationship isn't really working. I would just like to ask the process of what do I need to do to change my baby's name after mine. What are the laws and...

Birth Certificate change [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three year old with no father on his birth certificate. I am married now with a 3 months. Old. My husband wants to sign my oldest son birth certificate. Is this allowed by law? There is no established father for my son. Thank you. (I live in Miami, FL)

View more questions Search