Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smcmsgs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Can I get child support with joint physical custody in MA?
    I have been divorced for several years. When I was divorced, my husband and I were making roughly the same amount of money and he insisted on joint physical custody. Two years ago I was laid off and my income dropped by more than 40% when I finally found another job. I didn't think I was eligible for child support, but now (after depleting my savings and forgoing all vacations, major purchases, etc.) I wonder if I would qualify for child support? My ex-husband refuses to contribute to my children's college educations. I have 2 high school-aged children who spend the majority of time with me, despite the original "agreement" which called for about a 55% (me)/45% (him) time split.

Thanks
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
    I would take him back to court and have it reassessed, given the changes in your income I think you have a good chance. I would be prepared by having proof of my layoff, my savings before and now, and how much I earn. I would keep track of how many days, hours their father kept them from now until my court date, and how much money he contruibtes to their care or how much he gives them directly. Go in prepared.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 13, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Yes, you will have to take him back to court and request that the custody order be modified, since you keep the children the majority of the time, and ask for the allowed child support.

Also you need to have provisions that he pay an amount for their college if they go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support/Custody [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I'm from Nova Scotia . Canada and looking for some answers to questions if anyone has any for me , it would be muchly apperciated... Ok here goes , approx 5 yrs ago I started living with a man that has 2 children from a previous relationship , they went to court to settle on child support...

How can I regain physical custody of a child I haven't seen in 6 months? [ 13 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend has manipulated our teenaged daughter into thinking that she is not wanted by me. Currently, we have joint custody with physical custody going to him, but he has violated the agreement by putting her in a group home and NOT telling me along with other violations. The only reason I...

Joint custody/Child support [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, I live in CA and have been with my boyfriend for 3 years. His divorce was finalized 8/26/04 and his ex remarried 2 days later. Throughout all the court battles for custody, schooling, and child support he had to pay her $600 a month for alimony (they were only married 6 years) and...

Child support/custody [ 7 Answers ]

I have full custody of my daughter which is stipulated in my divorce and now she went to live with her dad at 18 because she did not like my house rules can he legally take me for child support? And can the courts have me pay back order from the time she left till present? We are in NYC.

View more questions Search