Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kllenort Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Regaining custody after voluntarily signing over custody
    I was a teen mother and I took care of my daughter from when she was born until she was about two and a half. I signed over permanent custody to my parents when I was unable to take care of her because of financial hardships and personal difficulties. I was told it had to be permanent because in order to give temporary custody you need to have an end date, and I did not. She is now five years old, and I am now able to take on being a full time mom again. My parents completely support me and are ready for this to happen. My question is: where do I start? Can I do this without having to hire a legal professional?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Sorry but the answer is no. You have to have a lawyer draw up the papers needed for you to adopt her back. I have heard of a few people with cases sort of like this that go to court the first time alone but ultimately they have to have a lawyer to complete the process.
    kllenort Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Even though it wasn't an adoption? They didn't adopt her, it was an allocation of parental responsibilties. I still have rights, just not custody.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Apr 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Well, the part that makes me say you need a lawyer is because it was perminant, I understand the reason behind it but it is what it is. The first thing you could do is get a court date with the same family court that you used the first time. Go before the judge and state your case. It is very helpful that your parents are on your side! After that court date the judge will either adjust the paper work so you get her back or tell you to get a lawyer for drawing up papers. The first part you can easily do with out retaining a lawyer. I just wanted you to be aware that the cases I have known the judge required it. Congrats on making it this far though!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Can you do it without a lawyer? Yes, you can if you know exactly what forms to file, how to print the forms, what motions to make with the court. And you don't or you would not be asking here.

This is not a fill in the blank type court issues, the judge may still say no after you do all of that. So you need to hire an attorney to do all the paper work and file the motions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regaining Child Custody [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend is going through his divorce and has a three year old son that is under the temporary custody of the mother. Now she is not providing as a custodial parent because he is never at home, always bouncing from one house to another because she works two jobs and has now started to go to...

Regaining custody [ 3 Answers ]

My friend lost her parental rights 6 years ago. Her son has been in a foster home all that time. How does she go about regaining custody?

Regaining custody [ 7 Answers ]

My ex done a lot of underhanded things over 3 yrs. Ago and he has custody of my two boys. I have been paying child support. They want to stay with me, he is a drug abuser among other things. He hacked into my email to delete some nasty emails he sent me. I printed them out before he deleted...

Regaining custody [ 2 Answers ]

I am exhausted and trampled right now. I had temp custody of my children for a year and a half after their dad and I separated. THen the divorce hearing rolls around and he gets full custody! He has had them now for almost four years and every time I think about it, it makes me sick. The judge...

Regaining custody of daughter [ 10 Answers ]

My daughter is 7 years old, she was 4 at the time of the divorce. I am the mother, was a stay at home mom her entire life. One weekend I decided to go with my sister to visit our dad, so I dropped my daughter at my grandmas house. Later my grandma called and said that her dad picked her up, which...

View more questions Search