Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chetankumarjain Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Spouse on H4, changed state from NJ to TN
    Hi,

I am on H1 and my wife just joined me on H4 in Dec 2007, do I need to file returns jointly or separately. Taxes withheld for NJ and I moved to TN. How should I file taxes and get refunds for state taxes. Please guide.

Chetan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 09:12 AM
    You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife).

The downside is that you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income. There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN for spouse for state and federal taxes [ 5 Answers ]

My wife did not have any income in 2007 and does not have a SSN. While filing for taxes I am claiming her as my dependent. I have a couple of questions: 1. Can I apply for an ITIN for her and file for my federal taxes simultaneously? If not, how long does it take to get an ITIN. I am afraid that...

Spouse taking kids out of state [ 2 Answers ]

My brother's wife just recently left him. She plans on taking the kids out of state with another man this weekend and he doesn't want her to. He went to the police and they told him that they could not tell him what to do, but that they recommended him to check the internet or an attorney. He...

Spouse resident of different state [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am on green card, while my spouse is on F1. I live in California, while my spouse lives in NY. For federal tax purposes, 1. I have to use 1040 if filing jointly ? (Can I get benefit from tax treaties for my wife's income ?) 2. For California, I can file 540 NR, married filing jointly,...

Lived and worked in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I apologize for the question: it's a complicated situation, and I'm afraid I'll have to pay for professional advice. But, in case somebody could help me, for free... :D , here is the situation: -husband and wife both work and live in MA. -husband gets a job in CT, while wife goes...

H-1b (changed from F-1) with spouse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Tax Expert, I have some questions for you. 1. I was in F-1 status until June 28 2005, then my status changed to H-1b. I was wondering if I qualify for the residency status for tax purposes this year and file 1040? 2. My wife joined me as my dependent (H-4) on Dec 7 2005. Can I include...

View more questions Search