Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda3737 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Will my federal tax return be taken by back child support
    I owe back child support in California. Can they take my federal tax return or my federal stimulas package return?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2010, 11:03 PM

You can check in advance if you are flagged for offset or not by calling FMS Autoresponder line at 1-800-304-3107.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 05:32 PM

Yes they may take it, if they have filed to garnish it.
    Iswear Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
    I received child support for back taxes, but my ex filed some kind of form with the IRS to have his taxes returned to him. Now they are asking me to pay his taxes back, how can this happen? He pays only 60 to 150 sporadicly for three children.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
    You need to challenge his rebuttal. Assuming you followed proper channels to get the tax refund confiscated to begin with, you have the right to challenge any rebutal he may have filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I pay child support and would like to know if I can claim on tax return. [ 5 Answers ]

My child lives with her mother and I take her sometimes weekdays and every Friday. No court involvement. I do pay child support. As for medical insurance, not my choice, the mother has her on public aid. She says its all up to her if I can claim her or not and I want to split it every other year...

Child Support and Claiming the Child on Federal Tax Return [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the question!! I Pay A little Over 800 a Month in Child Support Am I Able to Claim him on my Federal Taxes

Tax Interception/Back Child Support/Paternity [ 30 Answers ]

My husband found out he had a possible daughter in 2005 and missed the court date, so, they slapped him with 12,000 dollars in back child support with no acknowledgement of paternity, him not listed on the birth certificate, and no paternity test. In fact she just now agreed to do one September...

How do you intercept a tax return for unpaid child support? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you intercept a tax return for unpaid child support? The Department of Revenue is not involved because I hired a lawyer and my ex is suppose to send her child support payments to the Child Support Enforcement Agency in Tallahassee, FL, which she does not. Does anyone know who I could contact...

Back child support being taken from joint return [ 5 Answers ]

My daughters soon to be ex has back child support he owes. They filed a joint return with the IRS ( hope I'm posting in the right place). Well, since he owes the IRS took the whole thing to pay his debt and my daughter made more money than him. Most of that money was hers. She filed an injured...

View more questions Search