Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtgirl87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Overpayment in child support?
    How do you collect overpayment in child support?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2009, 06:31 PM

Did you overpay or do you want someone to pay you more?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2009, 06:35 PM

Who were you paying the support to and why do you think you overpaid?
    gtgirl87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:45 PM
    My husband has overpaid... child services added a child to his support order that wasn't supposed to be there so he has been paying on 2 children instead of the only 1 he was supposed to be paying on... besides that they recorded his income at $250 per week more than he makes (they transposed the figures)... this has been going on for 5 years... we finally got a court date and a review... they admitted that they made an error but can't tell us how they are going to correct the issue... we have tried to explain to them that this major mistake that they made has nearly cost us to lose everything we have... since the economy has plunged he has only been working 20 hours per week and has to pay $150 in child support and has only been bringing home $45... which is absolutely CRAZY in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Did you overpay or do you want someone to pay you more?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2009, 06:51 PM

Well frankly you have a problem. The money has probably been paid to the child's mother already so the money is gone. I would ask that the future payments be reduced until the payments balance out.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2009, 05:52 PM

I would imagine you could get an order that the custodial parent re-pay the overpaid support. But there might be problems collecting it, as you might imagine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 06:58 PM

But I see a issue if the took 5 years to go to court over it. Why when the added a kid that was not his, did he not go to court the next week?

Why when the court order was wrong, was a motion to correct this not filed the next week,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To refund the child support overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter Laura (03/04/1989) now is 19 years old. Despite I knew that she is NOT full time student and working, I sent child support, trying to contact her mother. They do not accept my letters, now I would like to get back Laura's portion of Child support. My oldest child Michell (04/15/1987) is...

Overpayment of child support in SC [ 2 Answers ]

When my son turned 18, child support was not stopped. First, who had to stop it? And secondly can I get reimbursed since this went on for a year.

Child support overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I was told by my ex-girlfriend, ( my son's mother), that I am paying $8 a week too much and have been for awhile. When I started paying child support, the judge put in arrearage of $8 for a certain amount. I can't remember what the amount was but I know it has been paid for quite awhile. How do I...

Child Support Overpayment [ 13 Answers ]

In 2005 the State of Indiana intercepted my '04 Tax returns to repay the $5500 in welfare that my ex received for my son. My Fed return was $6200 and my state was $450. They started taking $85/wk when my order was for $54/wk. The next year they took the Fed $2597 and the State $200 with no...

Child Support Overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I am in South Carolina. My last child graduated from high school in May. My ex continued to pay child support for 6 weeks. I was struggling financially at the time and thought he was being considerate since the payments were no burden for him. Now he says he made the payments in error and has...

View more questions Search