Are the receipts need for power of attorney

Asked Feb 4, 2008, 10:02 AM 2 Answers
    I was p.o.a for my mother and I don't have all the receipts what will happen now please help.She is dead now and my family is asking for the receipts.

Last edited by Littlesissy; Feb 4, 2008 at 05:47 PM.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,513, Reputation: 4591

#2

Feb 4, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlesissy
    I was p.o.a for my mother and i don't have all the receipts what will happen now please help.

Not a lot of information but I would "guess" that someone is questioning where the money went - ?

You need receipts; contact everyone you paid through your POA and request a duplicate receipt.

If you paid bills by check you already have the info - if you paid cash you are either going to need receipts of pay back your mother (or her estate, I'm not sure what's going on here).

LECTURE: People take Power(s) of Attorney lightly and it's a serious, time consuming, record keeping situation that causes a lot of dissention.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,727, Reputation: 7217

#3

Feb 4, 2008, 02:32 PM

As a Power of Attorney there is no real rules, a POA only has the authority to sign in place of the other person, if they are not present to sign, The POA is not a guardian and can not do things against the wishes of the person,

In general, if you sign a check spending their money, you do have to account for that money to them.

If for example, the person who you have power of attorney for, believes you have cheated them, you will have to accouint for your actions.

Power of Attorney ends at the time of death of the person to who you have power of attorney for.

Power of attorney [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is in a probation detention center and I need to get power of attorney for some medical records. What is the easiest way? Can I do it without hiring legal help?

Power of Attorney [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the Power of Attorney Law in Pennsylvania. Is there a difference when two people are names as Power of Attorney for someone, if the wording is "AND" or "AND OR"? What does the different mean? If it POA says "AND" and one named POA does things without the...

Power of attorney [ 3 Answers ]

If I'm the power of attorney for my mother due to her illness can I file bankruptcy for her under my social security number for her.

Power of Attorney [ 2 Answers ]

If you have issued a power of attorney in the past, is there a time this expires? How do you revoke a power of attorney if you do not know if it is still in effect?