I'm 17 he's 25 I'm pregnant. Do my parents have rights if I'm married?

Asked Sep 18, 2008, 07:27 PM — 30 Answers
    I live in Indiana.

I am 17 && he's 25. I think I might be pregnant and if I am, him && I know my mom would completely freak out because she doesn't even want us together. He thinks that him & I getting married (( because it is legal in some states if I'm pregnant to get married w/ out parent consent.)) would help force my mom into dealing w/ it. But my question is if I get married does she still have the right to put him away and/or take me away from him?

-----------------------------------
    I JUST turned 17.
    But I thoought that because the consent age in Indiana was 17 that it would be alrite?

Last edited by ILoveVille4ever; Sep 18, 2008 at 07:54 PM.
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,513, Reputation: 4591

#11

Sep 19, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveVille4ever
    right..
    but they cant force me to get an abortion unless she can prove that im unfit & im not.

Parents cannot force an abortion nor can they claim you would be an unfit mother before the child is born.
    stinawords's Avatar
    stinawords Posts: 2,041, Reputation: 144

#12

Sep 19, 2008, 08:45 AM
    No they can't force you to have an abortion even if they think you will be unfit. It doesn't work that way.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 11,796, Reputation: 1349
    Internet Research Expert

#13

Sep 19, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbunny
    sorry! you are treated as an adult in the medical field. my mistake!
    I don't think that this is correct. Any time a minor is involved in a medical procedure other then life threatening or abortion; the doctors have to seek permission to treat the underage patient. So no at 17 they aren't treated like an adult. Also in Indiana emancipation of a child doesn't occur until age 21. So there is some conflict there also.
    theshores's Avatar
    theshores Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

#14

Sep 19, 2008, 06:06 PM
    Don't get married just because you are pregnant please! That is not a good idea. You are still young and need time to decide if this is the person that you want to spend your life with. If he's any man at all, once you guys find out for sure if you are, you both should sit down with your parents and let them know what is going on and the decisions that you guys are making. You should conduct yourself as an adult and be responsible. I would hope that your parents would respect him more if he owned up to his responsibilities and faced them with it.

I mean think about the Big Picture for a moment. Does he work full time and have health insurance? If not, if you guys get married you won't be covered by anyone. If your parents won't help... is he able to provide for you financially? Is he responsible and ready to take on the role of a husband? Think really hard about this if law does permit it.

All the best
    liz28's Avatar
    liz28 Posts: 4,660, Reputation: 1034

#15

Sep 19, 2008, 06:13 PM
    First, you need to find out for sure if your pregnant instead of thinking you might. Get a pregnancy test or go to a clinic. Why the rush to get marry at such a young age?
    stinawords's Avatar

#16

Sep 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    I dont think that this is correct. Any time a minor is involved in a medical procedure other then life threatening or abortion; the doctors have to seek permission to treat the underage patient. So no at 17 they arent treated like an adult. Also in indiana emancipation of a child doesnt occur until age 21. So there is some conflict there also.
    For marriage you only have to be 18 because even though lots of web sites say emancipation is at 21 it is actually for all other purposed but child support at 18. At 18 you are an adult if you get in trouble you are the one going to jail and what not you can get married move out do whatever you want. The only thing that applies to the age being 21 is support continuing if the child is a full time student until that age. You aren't the only one that has made that same type of comment so I know the wrong information is everywhere.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 11,796, Reputation: 1349
    Internet Research Expert

#17

Sep 20, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords View Post
    Here is where it gets confusing because In law cant seem to make up its mind.

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/May2007.pdf

http://www.in.gov/icpr/webfile/formsdiv/52690.pdf

Fiscal Impact Statement, Senate Bill 0469

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/...SB0459.001.pdf

Requirements for In.
    State

They seem to agree to disagree.
    stinawords's Avatar

#18

Sep 20, 2008, 11:58 AM

I can't give calif any more greenies so I'll just say those are some good sites and I know IN can be confusing... I'm pretty sure the only reason I know as much about it is because not only was I born and raised here but also had to study it in order to get my degree lol. But yea as far as this case is concerned she just has to wait until turning 18 then can get married and move out. In no way am I going to say that I am part of those web sites because I'm pretty sure IN government people are sitting around laughing at all the confused faces people get trying to figure them out.
    ILoveVille4ever's Avatar
    ILoveVille4ever Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

#19

Sep 22, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theshores View Post
    Don't get married just because you are pregnant please! that is not a good idea. You are still young and need time to decide if this is the person that you want to spend your life with. If he's any man at all, once you guys find out for sure if you are, you both should sit down with your parents and let them know what is going on and the decisions that you guys are making. You should conduct yourself as an adult and be responsible. I would hope that your parents would respect him more if he owned up to his responsibilities and faced them with it.

I mean think about the Big Picture for a moment. Does he work full time and have health insurance? If not, if you guys get married you won't be covered by anyone. If your parents won't help...is he able to provide for you financially? Is he responsible and ready to take on the role of a husband? Think really hard about this if law does permit it.

All the best

Yes, he has his own business works full time && has already told me that even if we are not married while/after I'm pregnant he wants to put me on his health insurance to pay for the medical bills.
    stinawords's Avatar

#20

Sep 22, 2008, 09:16 AM

Are you pregnant right now or not? Because if you are then his insurance won't cover you because pretty much all insurance policies that cover maternaty make you be on the plan for at least a year before becoming pregnant.

Can my parents find out if I am married? [ 8 Answers ]

I married my boyfriend out of state (but still in the US) for immigration purposes. We intended to marry in the future, but looked at this is basically signing paperwork to help keep him in the country. We do not want to share this with anyone because we both want the big traditional wedding which...

How do I tell my parents I'm getting married? [ 14 Answers ]

Me and my Fiancé are getting married in Feb. I'm 18 and he's 20 we are deeply in love and I have a beautiful ring. Anyway he's a Marine and I'm going to beauty school in the spring my parents know we are getting married they just don't know how soon. We had told his parents and some close friends....

When to tell my parents I'm getting married [ 13 Answers ]

Well, I am 17 and I will be getting married on July 19 2008. I have been engaged since November but haven't told my parents. I am afraid to because they may tell me I can't see him. Since he is graduated, and my father won't let me get a license it would be very hard to sneak and see each other......

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Pregnant married woman fathers rights when not husband [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Michigan and my husband and I have been off and on for the last couple of years. During that time I became pregnant by a married man, he wants custody of the child once born what are his legal rights. My husband and I have agreed to raise the child together but the real father wants...