Originally Posted by ScottGem
Correct. Minnesota Statutes 259.22 PETITION. Subd. 2.Persons who may be adopted.
No petition for adoption shall be filed unless the person sought to be adopted has been placed by the commissioner of human services, the commissioner's agent, or a licensed child-placing agency. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply if:
(1) the person to be adopted is over 14 years of age;
(2) the child is sought to be adopted by an individual who is related to the child, as defined by section 245A.02, subdivision 13;/see below/
(3) the child has been lawfully placed under the laws of another state while the child and petitioner resided in that other state;
(4) the court waives the requirement of this subdivision in the best interests of the child or petitioners, provided that the adoption does not involve a placement as defined in section 259.21, subdivision 8; or
(5) the child has been lawfully placed under section 259.47. 245A.02,Subd. 13.Individual who is related.
"Individual who is related" means a spouse, a parent, a natural or adopted child or stepchild, a stepparent, a stepbrother, a stepsister, a niece, a nephew, an adoptive parent, a grandparent, a sibling, an aunt, an uncle, or a legal guardian.