Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    braxtimsdad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Soffit and roofing
    I am setting my truss's tomorrow and putting on my fascia board and plywood, I want to know if I need to get the fascia system on my board before I start felt paper and shingles, or if I can deal with the fascia system and soffit at a later time. But I would like to get my roof done as soon as possible to protect my lumber from rain.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

May 25, 2007, 07:41 PM
    It's much easier to install your fascia before you sheet the roof. The edge of your roof sheathing should cover the top of your fascia and be just a "hair" short of flush with the outside edge of the fascia. You can wait until you sheet the roof and install the BASE sheeting for your roofing but... believe me... you want to paint your fascia before you put the cap (or finished roofing material) on. The finest craftsmanship can be ruined by just a little paint overspray and by doing the fascia before you sheet with OSB or plywood, you'll save a lot of frustration that'll come from trying to push the fascia up flush with the sheet edges when you discover that your rafter ends aren't all exactly the same height from the ground (or top plate).
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 25, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Paint on new construction? I would be going with factory finished aluminum for the trim.
    Honest Abe Roofer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Our metal roofer, who is honest and hardworking has a problem. The front of our house is angled so where the edge of the new roof is sawed off, there is an edge that sticks out above the fascial board. In addition, the ribs create bumps that prevent him from covering the edge. Can you help?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soffit overhang [ 6 Answers ]

I have a colonial with a cantilevered overhang that was covered with aluminum soffit panels when the house was vinyl sided. I donot believe that they insulated in between the joist of the overhang. Do you think it would be possible to remove the metal soffit panels and insulate between the joist...

Soffit materials [ 1 Answers ]

Have had some problem with ice dams on my garage roof which resulted in leakage through the roofing and into the soffitts below. Am planning on replacing the soffitts with a material that would not require any painting, either vinyl or metal. I think over the next few months I will have to replace...

Kitchen soffit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We’re remodelling the kitchen with medium cherry cabinets, red black brown bordeaux granite on the U shaped countertop & tumbled stone backsplash. The off side of the counter is pictured framed and painted almond to pick up a color in the tumbled stone. The question is what to...

Need some advice about roofing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I need some advice on a few things I discovered while cleaning out the gutters last weekend. The house is in North Carolina, built in 1994. I’ve had it only a few years and I don’t have a history of repairs by the previous owner. It’s possible there were repairs due to hurricane...

Roofing question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's worth a try. We had a hail storm a few months back and, now that the snow is gone, a roofing contractor has finally been able to some inspect the roof. They say it has evidence of hail damage and gave me a quote. ...

View more questions Search