Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelaine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Old Cedar Shake Siding, what a mess!
    Hello!

We purchased our home about 2yrs ago, knowing we would have to paint, but it looked all right.

After 2 Michigan winters, there are large 'holes' where paint has peeled/fallen off & exposed the original? Stained shakes underneath. Upon closer look (we are inept in this sort of thing & were busy w/ babies the past 2yrs) it appears that someone already had 'touched-up' the areas where the paint is chipping... it appears those areas are lighter. :mad:

The paint is mauve, the stain underneath is dark green... it all looks terrible. What to do?

The shake seems to be in good condition, although, it's hard to tell since it has been painted over to the degree that in most areas the grooves no longer show. Also, around the bottom perimeter, there is some cracking on the very bottom of the shingles.

Can you strip cedar shake w/out damaging it? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Is it likely w/ this much chipping that it is even capable of retaining paint? We are having estimates done, but I want to be prepared to ask the right questions... as well as not pay for a service only to find out in a few years that we should have replaced it all to begin with.

Any information/advice will be SUPREMELY appreciated, thanks in advance!!!!

Check out some similar questions!

Is this cedar shake siding salvagable? [ 5 Answers ]

We are looking at purchasing a home with cedar shake siding. Any siding that is covered (there are several covered porches) is in great shape. The rest is peeling (previously painted) and shows some of the bare wood. We saw the home after about a week of very rainy weather. The shakes that showed...

Severe peeling on cedar siding [ 4 Answers ]

I hope someone can help us, and if not steer us to someone who might be able to. Thank You. My wife and I built a house in Southeastern Wisconsin at the end of 2001 and chose to use cedar siding. Construction began at the end of 01 and the house was sided in November. Because of the weather...

Can't shake it off [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I have had a unstable marriage over 8.5 yrs. Finally, as a result , we decided to separate for a while and possibly reconcilliate later on. This was agreeable to both of us until my father and step mother caught him in public with another woman. I was devastated! almost to the point...

Cedar siding painting [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know that the cedar siding should be primed and painted before installation on both sides or primed and painted after installation just on exterior side ( only one side that is exposed to weather). Thanks

Cedar Siding installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing 18" Cedar siding boards. My problem is installing them around a bay extension where the angles are 22 degrees. No matter how precise I cut those joints, they look awful. I waste more material than needed and I cannot make the joints look neat. I have had to resort to using...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.