Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon123 Posts: 240, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2010, 03:05 PM
    4 gang wiring
    Hello, I have a home project for my basmt bathroom.. I bought an expensive metal box with mudplate and gfi outlet which will be fed from the main panel (always live) from there I want to piggy back to two switches.. one for the shower recess fixture and the other to the wall fixture.. can anyone here simplify a wire diagram or link me to a good illustration? Tia, jon
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 03:32 PM

Sounds like you have 2 switches and a receptacle, fourth?
    It doesn't matter, tie all grounds together, tuck in the back of the box, then alll whites.
    Your Constant Hot(live) wire, have it twist together with 4 8" pieces of wire(pigtails), each will go to your 3 switches and recepticles, any unused, cap off.
    If you are having a GFI receptacle, you should pigtail a white wire for GFI neutral.

Jul 29, 2010, 05:49 PM

Yes start, the GFI receptacle I am using from the breaker feed had a label for additional switches and so I figured that out.. although I have a metal box, I used a 12" or so of 14 gauge to loop around the ground screws on all of them too. But as I see it now, the gfi had two additional plug in ports in the back to connect the leads from the highhat and the wall box. I am going back to the electrical place tomorrow to be certain I had to ground it with 14 gauge as I did on the metal mud plate before juicing it. Thank you sir for a quick reply! Jon
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 05:53 PM

If only 1 receptacle in bath, I would not hook anything on the load side, unless a receptacle on the protected side to fill the 4th place in the plate.

Jul 29, 2010, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    If only 1 recepticle in bath, I would not hook anything on the load side, unless a recepticle on the protected side to fill the 4th place in the plate.
    Start the fourth is going to be from another line feed circuit.. I just want to use the GIF receptacle that I mentioned to feed two light switches.. the 4 gang will have one main feed from the breaker to it and from that, the receptical is designed to feed the two additional switches directly from the receptical that is to say. (no piggy backing from switch to switch, if you get my meaning.. the fourth in the 4 gang will be another geed for a separate switch. So it is like this.. one feed to the receptical, from this receptical I connect one piggy to the next switch and again from the only same receptical another set to the second switch. Tomorrow I checking this with a local electric supplier and I'll check in sometime tomorrow here thanks again.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 05:25 AM

Personally, I wouldn't have the lights on GFI. If it trips, you are in the dark.

Aug 6, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't have the lights on GFI. If it trips, you are in the dark.
    Strat, the GFI receptical and three light switches are connected to a 4gang box. I completed all the wiring but to this box, I had a licensed eletrician wire the four and see now how simple it was.. funny truth is all the sites and 4gang diagrams/illustrations online looked like french to me! So I pais 150.00 for a half hour service! Thanks for trying anyway.. I do now know how if ever a next job comes around.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 06:26 AM

Did the electrician tell you that the #14 was not OK to use for the GFI feed in the bathroom?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 2 Gang Meter Socket w/ 100 & 200 Amp Meters [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Are you allowed to use a 2 gang 200 amp meter socket to feed (1) 200 AMP panel and (1) 100 AMP panel, or do all meters in same enclosure have to be the same (200 AMP)? If the above is allowed: What size wire would I need from weather head to meter socket? Would I then run...

A gang is after me? [ 6 Answers ]

What do I do?

3-gang wiring for lights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3-gang box with three switches. Each switch controls three can lights. Do I need more than one supply wire? Is 14-2 sufficient? Each bulb will be 65w. Thank you.

To pigtail or not to pigtail -- wiring double gang box [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to wire a double gang box with two pair of receptacles on the same circuit and not switched. Technique 1: One source told me it is preferable to pigtail hots, neutrals, and grounds to each receptacle in the box so that a possible future receptacle replacement might be easier. ...

View more questions Search