Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xiph0s Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Really Old house - new insulation is not enough
    hopefully I'm in the right spot. I recently purchased an old house and gutted the entire thing. The house has completely new blown in insulation in the walls and new batt insulation in the attic and the crawl space. This house is so old that the floors in two of the rooms have no subfloor. Meaning, we have plank pine floors laid directly onto the joists. During the renovation new insulation with a kraft face was put in the crawl space (kraft paper towards floor) While standing on the floor mentioned above I can feel air still moving into the house.

My question is this. I do not want to put up styro board due to cost and hassle of putting it up (crawl space is tiny) but something needs to be added to control air movement and heat loss. Would it do any good to take some standard fiberglass insulation without kraft paper and run it perpendicular to my joists so that in effect I have insulation between the joists and then the new layer of insulation covering everything including the joists and old insulation. If I were to do this I would use a thinner, lower R-value insulation and staple it to the joists as I worked my way across the house.

My main concern is moisture being trapped in the insulation. Since I am not familiar with insulation I must also ask does fiberglass insulation allow moisture to migrate out of it?

The crawl space already has a vapor barrier and vents are insulated as well.

thanks in advance!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 03:58 PM

serious question here Why is it always a cost thing on doing the best insulation possible as opposed to it being there for life and heating the building for life? Where is the savings there?
    Adding more unfaced insul stapled to the joist knocks down the 'R' value in that because of it being compressed. One place the air gets is is where the joist meet that outside band and plate. Stuff spray foam seals that up well. The ides for moisture in the fiberglass id not to be in it at all. It has to breath so as not to trap moisture CREATED by improper vapor barrier or double barrier. A perfect glass insul in a crawl space can go bad if the crawl space air itself gets to high in moisture .
    The reason I say that is because fiberglass insulation in a crawl space is not the best way simply because of no cross ventilation and if it has cross ventilation possibly the bugs mice etc can get in through screens. Hears the catch. Any foam board in a crawl space should be put right under the sub floor. The you can add unfaced glass insul to that to secure that from dropping out. Use a treated lath to help support the glass and it will breath under the crawl space. You don't want to use a foam board under the glass insul to start a double vapor barrier problem. 5% of any moisture in glass kill 95% of its insul properties. Spray foam is the perfect insulation to use and you will NEVER have a draft. Spray foam also is mold resistant and has higher "R" value per inch than glass and the bugs stay out. If this is not a huge crawl space you can do your own spray foam I posted a site below for that. Reuse the insul there peel of the kraft face and recycle it to the attic on top of the other insulation. I don't know if the crawl space has cross ventilation in it which changes this here also except for the spray foam part.

http://www.southface.org/web/resourc...e%2000-774.pdf

Compare Spray Foam | McGlaughlin Spray Foam Insulation

YouTube - Tiger Foam. Spray Foam Insulation | basement & crawl space.

Tiger Foam | Spray Foam Insulation Kits

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Under house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I want to insulate under my house, I have a crawl space with dirt on the floor and my floors are wood. What can I use to keep out the cold air from coming up through my wood floors during the winter months?

What will lack of Insulation in the house mean? [ 6 Answers ]

The inspection that was just concluded on the home I want to buy shows that there are no insulation in the attic, and there is no evidence of insulation in the walls of the house. What is the implication of this and what can I do to correct it? More so, is it very expensive to do this? Thanks

House painting vs insulation [ 1 Answers ]

What questions should I ask in regard to: Painting over cedar shake shingles and blow in insulation Or Putting vinyl siding directly over shingles vs taken shingles off

Insulation [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of Massachusetts,so it very cold here.when I take the old window out and the weight of the window what type of insulation should I put in the gap inside. Thanks

Cables in wall and house insulation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe the code forbids running cables so that they Are in contract with each other. If you pass through A beam, I believe they allow 24 inches of contact. How many cables can go through each hole and How big must a hole be? What is the allowable method of running several Cables...

View more questions Search