Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sherry frith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Concrete staining
    What do you use to tape on the concrete to make designs while staining. I'll be using different colors and I don't want bleeding to occur as it will be permanent.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2008, 09:28 AM

You can't get a real sharp edge when you stain concrete because the surface has grit and sand exposed making it like sand paper. Don't bother with blue painters tape, it is designed to release easily and you want to most bote you can get. I'd try duct tape that is laid down and then rolled with a heavy rubber floor roller to increase contact.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 28, 2008, 03:26 AM

I am staining my garage floor which I etched well with muriatic acid. I used plain masking tape and pressed the edges down really well.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Nov 19, 2008, 03:09 PM

How'd that work for you Patty? Did you get any bleeding under the tape? I want to stain my patio but hadn't thought about putting any kind of design on it. I'll just be happy to have the "ugly" covered up. :-)
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Dec 2, 2008, 05:33 AM
    [QUOTE=JohnsPop;1383534]How'd that work for you Patty? Did you get any bleeding under the tape? I want to stain my patio but hadn't thought about putting any kind of design on it. I'll just be happy to have the "ugly" covered up. :-)[/QUOTE

I cleaned and primed the areas that I was going to paint. The paint didn't bleed under the regular masking tape. I then removed the tape and stained the unpainted areas and used a damp microfiber cloth to wipe off any stain that got on the painted areas. The masking tape worked just fine!

Go here to see the results of my painted and stained concrete garage floor and my painted concrete kitchen floor:

Search Results - Rate My Space
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Dec 11, 2008, 03:41 PM

That looks awesome Patty. Thanks for sharing! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Staining concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I have to pull up some nasty carpet, I am thinking about cleaning and staining the cement, and not replacing the carpet, any suggestions on how to do this? I know there is glue holding the padding down that will have to be cleaned, I want the cement to have a high gloss shine when its done.

Staining outdoor concrete [ 1 Answers ]

Any suggestions of how to stain the concrete around my swimming pool? Tools to use, brand of stain, and application? And how to protect pool?

Tea staining [ 10 Answers ]

If I stained an item (probably cotton) with tea would I be able to wash it out? Or would it always be a bit dingy after that? Strange question I know but I'm making a Halloween costume and I want to know whether the item has to be sacrificed. Red food colouring definitely wouldn't come out would...

Concrete staining [ 3 Answers ]

Can concrete be acid stained with fiber mesh in the mix.

Exterior concrete staining [ 1 Answers ]

How can I stain outdoor concrete patio slab. For a warm stain look. Tips?? :cool:

View more questions Search