Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Short Balla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Higher Vertical Jump
    I need to know how to increse my vertical leap. I'm 13 and I'm only 5'0. I'm pretty good for my height. Well, anyway, I think it would really help out my game if I could grab more boards and play better defense. How can I increase my leap?
    pennstate98 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 04:19 PM
    HI!
    I am 13 and 5'0 also!
    My vertical is about 21"
    Here are some good exercises to help you.(Don't overdo or you could mess up your knees)
    Instructions
    • STEP 1: Begin every workout by warming up your muscles and then doing extensive leg stretches. Because you'll be building muscle fibers that are used for explosive activities such as jumping, stretching is of the utmost importance.
    • STEP 2: Jump rope for its excellent cardiovascular conditioning. This step should never be skipped, as it will be an important contributor to your results.
    • STEP 3: Sprint. This builds muscle, which will add to your jumping ability.
    • STEP 4: Run stairs on your toes. Start by running up a flight, one step at a time. Walk down and run back up, taking two steps at a time. Repeat as many times as you can manage.
    • STEP 5: Do sets of elevated jumps (see the next section).
    • STEP 6: Do sets of explosive jumps (see the third section).
    • STEP 7: Do sets of double jumps (see the third section).
    • STEP 8: Rest your legs at least two days a week. Results will come from sustaining the exercise program, not performing it aggressively for a few weeks and then slacking off.
    Elevated Jumps
    Instructions
    • STEP 1: Begin by placing a step bench or platform on the ground (many health clubs have a platform for just this purpose).
    • STEP 2: Stand on the platform, then jump backward onto the ground, concentrating on landing softly.
    • STEP 3: Jump back onto the platform immediately, with a bouncing motion.
    • STEP 4: Complete three sets of 10 repetitions. Be very careful when performing this exercise, as there is a potential for injury.
    Explosive Leg Jumps and Double Jumps
    Instructions
    • STEP 1: Position yourself for an explosive leg jump by facing a secure platform and placing your right foot on it.
    • STEP 2: Jump as high as you can, concentrating on exploding off the right leg. Scissor your legs once in the air, then land with your left foot on the platform and your right foot on the floor. Gather yourself and explode upward again, this time off the left foot.
    • STEP 3: Do three sets of 10 repetitions, resting for about 30 seconds to 1 minute between sets.
    • STEP 4: Execute a double jump by jumping as high as possible with both feet from a stationary position.
    • STEP 5: Jump again immediately upon landing, using less effort.
    • STEP 6: Repeat until you've accomplished three sets of 10 jumps each.
    Overall Tips & Warnings
    • Some of these exercises, particularly stair runs and explosive leg jumps, can cause injury if not performed properly. Your knees, in particular, are especially susceptible.
    • Make sure you thoroughly understand all instructions before attempting the exercises.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F1 students claim higher education expense [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am a F1 student from India. I would like to know if I can use the 1098T to claim for Hope or Lifetime Learning credits. Thanks Joe

Please Help Me With My Vertical Jump [ 10 Answers ]

OK so here's how it goes. I'm a 13 year old male. I'm 5' 7" tall. I have a 19" vertical jump. I play basketball and do track (highjumping, longjump , sprints). My goal is to at very least touch the rim by next basketball season. I know I am capable of doing this so I was just wondering...

Vertical siding [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm interested in re-siding my house with vertical siding, but was wondering if anyone knows of a supplier that makes it in lenghths of about 25ft so that I can do the whole of the house in one run? Otherwise I'll have to do it in sections 12 ft high and run a j channel across, but I'd...

Vertical distance to trap [ 3 Answers ]

I'm installing a basement shower. When the house was built 2 years ago, it was pre-roughed, with a plastic cover over the hole where the drain will be. I was surprised after opening up and removing some dirt that the 2" horizontal drain line is so deep - it is 12-1/4 inches from the top of the...

View more questions Search