Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dumbwife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 11:02 PM
    Roofing how to?
    We measured a roof but we don't understand how to find the number squares we need to lay the roof or the number of bundles of shingles. We know 10x10 is a square but after measuring how many square is the problem. The roof measures like this; 125 foot long and 5 foot 3inches wide, the dormer is 7 foot 3 inches on both sides of the dormer wide and 8 foot 4 inches on both sides long. So how would we calculate to find the number of square shingles we would need. Any help would be so helpful... Thank you dumbwife
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Multiply all the lengths times their widths and add up. 125x5.25 + 2x7.25x8.33 Then divide by the 100 sqft ina square. It takes 3 bundles of shingles to make a square.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 7, 2007, 07:38 PM
    I'm figuring about 9 square, I am adding extra here for starter shingles and roof cap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

Soffit and roofing [ 3 Answers ]

I am setting my truss's tomorrow and putting on my fascia board and plywood, I want to know if I need to get the fascia system on my board before I start felt paper and shingles, or if I can deal with the fascia system and soffit at a later time. But I would like to get my roof done as soon as...

Need some advice about roofing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. I need some advice on a few things I discovered while cleaning out the gutters last weekend. The house is in North Carolina, built in 1994. I’ve had it only a few years and I don’t have a history of repairs by the previous owner. It’s possible there were repairs due to hurricane...

Roofing Business Help [ 1 Answers ]

I completed a diy project recovering my flat roof and found it very easy, I have sourced a supplier of covering that would allow me to make a good profit on any installed work I do. What I need to know is what sort of insurances etc I would need, public liability maybe, and how do I get insurance...

Roofing question [ 6 Answers ]

Hello - not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but it's worth a try. We had a hail storm a few months back and, now that the snow is gone, a roofing contractor has finally been able to some inspect the roof. They say it has evidence of hail damage and gave me a quote. ...

View more questions Search