Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lecker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Metal framing for a door?
    I am finishing my basement and I am using metal studs. I need to know how to frame for door.
    Help!
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 13, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Here's The Door Sizes 2-0 You'd Frame 26 1/2
    2-4 You Frame 30 1/2
    2-8 You Frame 34 1/2
    3-0 You Frame 38 1/2

Now Here Another Thing To Keep In Mind, With Metal Studs You Need To Add Some Wood Nailers To The Sides And Header. Metal Studs Don't Hold Gun Nails Very Well.
    So Keep In Mind You Need To Allow An 1 1/2 Extra For The Header And 3" For Adding A 2x4 To Each Side Of The Rough Opening

Example For A 2-0 You Need To Frame 29 1/2 This Will Give You 26 1/2 After You Add The 2x4s To Both Sides

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing with metal studs. [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to build a wall with 2 door openings using metal studs. How do you frame for the door openings? Is it necessary to use wood in the opening? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Interior Door Framing - Basement [ 1 Answers ]

I've framed around the exterior walls of my basement. I will be framing a partition wall in a few weeks which will include framing for interior doors. My plan is to buy pre-hung doors, I have seen they only come in one standard height - which would require a framing height of 82 1/2". My problem...

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

Advice needed on framing - replace metal studs? [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for some advice regarding a "Yoga RopeWall" I am helping to construct for a friend's Yoga studio. A rope wall is basically a wall of 3/4" plywood with ropes hanging from it that are used for various Yoga poses. Originally, the wall was covered in mirror. When we took that down, we...

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

View more questions Search