Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nothandy14 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2014, 05:17 PM
    Installing toilet on offset flange
    How do I install toilet on PVC offset flange with clip for bolt on one side? Does the wax ring keep the bolt from coming out? Will the wax ring fall in on that narrow edge?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 05:25 PM
    " with clip for bolt on one side" having trouble picturing what you mean here. You pit the wax ring on the toilet while it is upside down, then lower the toilet onto the flange lining up with the two brass johnny bolts.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 05:35 PM
    Yeah, I think I understand what you are asking...;)

If you mean a u-shaped clip inside the flange on one side and a slide in slot on the other side in the flange ring, then there are ways to hold the toilet bolt in place. Here, you literally bolt the bolt into place using an additional washer and a nut (not supplied with toilet bolts)...tighten down to the "clip" to hold in place. Confirm that this is your flange type and we can discuss the wax gasket and toilet installation...can be a little tricky!!

I included a picture of an upside down cast iron flange with the type of "clip" I think you are talking about...these obviously come in PVC and ABS, too...see image.
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 05:48 PM
    Here is a picture of a PVC offset flange with the clip...;)

I'm pretty sure this is what we are talking about guys!
    Attached Images

Jan 23, 2014, 06:07 PM
    Thank you, the lower picture is exact. Why is the clip side open? Just seems like it wouldn't be very secure, even with the washer and nut.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 06:17 PM
    Just the way it works, and believe it or not, the nut/washer will hold it fine...at least long enough for you to grab it and tighten the bolt down to the toilet, right?

Be warned here...do NOT over tighten the bolt as it will snap the plastic clip!!

PS: Build a little wax up under the clip to act as a shelf/seal with the new wax gasket....will make a better seal to the new wax gasket...see image below. Without this wax shelf, there is a hole between the new flange and the new wax gasket. Dry fit...should see what I mean!
    Attached Images

Jan 23, 2014, 06:52 PM
    Great picture! I will buy an additional wax ring tomorrow and use part of it to fill in the area you indicated. Thanks, again. Very helpful!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 23, 2014, 06:54 PM
    Perfect...always glad to help.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 24, 2014, 10:19 PM
    They even sell off-set closet ring with round inlet... My Home Depot carries it...

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offset toilet flange [ 5 Answers ]

I went to replace a toilet and it has an offset toilet flange and the slots are on three sides the other side had a plastic extension for the bolt with is broken. I believe it is all pvc. I went to a plumbing store and he said you can't just put a ring on top of it. I looked on line and that is...

Toilet offset flange [ 3 Answers ]

Builder installed the waste pipe about 4 inches off-center. This made it too close to a half-wall. Instead of moving the pipe, the toilet drain is partially blocked by the flooring. There is no leak but it doesn't flush solids properly. A plumber told us we would have to rip up and replace all our...

Toilet Offset Flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a toilet and need to move the waste line about 1 inch. How can I install an offset toil flange over existing one. Can I glue a new pvc offset flange into existing toilet flange / wasteline? My wasteline is 3" PVC.

Installing offset toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

The 2x10 floor joist in right in the middle of where I want the center of the flange to be, how much of the floor joist can I legally remove so the offset flange will fit?

View more questions Search