Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lpenek Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 09:40 AM
    New stucco
    We are neophytes attempting to apply stucco to a newly constructed plywood (1/2") sheathed building. We have the tar paper, wire mesh (looks like chicken wire) and furring nails (1-3/4"). My question is how to apply these:
    Do we staple on the paper? (what over lap?)
    How do we nail on the wire?- do the nails somehow get placed so they hook into the wire?
    How frequently should they be placed?
    Since this building is elevated we have nailed on a bent strip along the bottom (can't remember the formal name) to prevent the stucco from sliding off.
    We also have some sticky tarry paper to place around the window before we put on the tarpaper. I think I can figure this one out.
    As you can see -we need advice. Thanks, Lynne
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2009, 08:58 PM

Fairly basic here. Apply sticky paper around window starting from the bottom up the sides and over the top of the window. Allow the very bottom edge of the stick under sill furtherest form sill to overlap the regular tar paper for water/moisture weeping.

Staple/roofing tacker tar paper starting from the bottom to the top . Overlap 4 " min from new piece to piece. Use galv nails with big heads to nail on stucco wire.

Now apply first "scratch coat" of stucco. There is a stucco/parging rake/comb to rough up first coat so second coat sticks. After first coat dries for a day apply finish coat. Thats the old ways. If you are using a "stucco" product premix follow manufactures instructions on applications.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 01:59 AM

The wire lathe has a top and bottom. Should be installed with wire pitching toward building.

Holding against building looking down, if shiny, it is upside down.

Chuck
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2009, 01:48 PM

The nailing is in a basic pattern but that doesn't always apply. The main objective is for the wire to be stiff and not loose anywhere.

Posted some applications
    Chapter 4, Lath for Stucco

http://www.ci.newark.ca.us/externals...a0f8144dd5.pdf

http://www.mtidry.com/canada/CanSurCavInstl.pdf

Good question about the nails. 99% of the stucco here goes on old brick or block walls. Or its Dry Vit stucco applications. Never had fibered nails washers for stucco.. The reg stucco nails have a very wide head to pinch/grab the stucco wire. I'm guessing the fibered head is for the nail to be wide enough so it doesn't go through the holes of the wire. Also I'm guessing its fibered to stop electrolysis and not rust the nail head off since its grounded. Just a scientific guess here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stucco Application [ 2 Answers ]

I have a home built in the late 1960s with stucco with glass blown into it. Is there any way to apply new stucco to the house without removing the old stuff. I'm looking for a more modern/contemporary look. Thanks J

Stucco Application [ 1 Answers ]

I Need the Procedure of Stucco Application

Stucco wall [ 2 Answers ]

We are constructing a stucco fence around the house and I would like to know if it is better to use plywood with tar paper and chicken wire or can we use wonderboard underneath and will stucco attach well to wonderboard?

View more questions Search