Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jimpop82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
    220 volt heater
    I want to install a 220 volt wall heater. The feed line has a red, black, white and copper ground. The heater only has a red, black and ground. What do I do with the white (common) line?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 03:43 AM
    As long as there is 240 volts across the black and red, and 120 volts across each the black and red to the white, then this should prove the white is a neutral (common), and since the heater does not need a neutral, it can be capped with a wirenut.

Be sure the wire is of sufficient size to handle the heater load.
    jimpop82 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Thanks for the response. The 220 service was put in by a professional so it sounds like red t red black to black and cap the white. As always grounded.

Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

110 volt versus 220 volt mini heat pump [ 6 Answers ]

I have enclosed my screened porch to create more living space(Florida Room). I am using a single zone mini split ductless heat pump for heating and cooling. It has been calculated that I need a 12,000 BTU unit. However, most of these units are available in 110 volts and 220 volts. The 220 models...

Question on 220 volt [ 4 Answers ]

How can one identify 220 volt appliance besides looking on the appliance? Does 220 volt devices have the same 3 prong (with ground) or two prong configuration on the plug or does something look different indicating that it is 220 volts? Lastly, I know on 20 amp appliances the plug has one...

220 Volt Pool Timer [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to install an Intermatic Swimming Pool Mechanical Timer 220V - T104P3 to my exciting pump. I have two live wires coming from the breaker box which I labeled Line 1 & Line 2, there is also a ground wire. Then I have to wires coming from the pump which I labeled Load 1 & Load 2. I have...

Older 220 volt wire [ 13 Answers ]

I have an older 220v wire with only 3 wires... 2 hot and 1 ground/neutral (bare). I need to connect (splice) it to a newer 220v wire with 4 wires... 2 hot, 1 neutral (white), and a ground (bare). And older I mean less than 15 years old.

Electric Thermostat 220 Volt 20 Amp [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for an Electric Thermostat rated at 220vac @ 30 amps but can not find one. Does anyone know if they are available.

View more questions Search