Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tfrog Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Sex with Condoms, safe to have sex again?
    My girlfriend and I use condoms as a method of birth control and it is the only method that we use.
    I put on a condom every time we have sex but usually we both end up wanting more almost immediately or a few minutes after.
    Is it safe to change condoms immediately after having ejaculated into the old one?
    I mean, in all technicality it should be safe, but does the semen not ride down the base of the condom and inevitably get transferred even when you do put on a fresh one?
    ATYOURSERVICE Posts: 246, Reputation: 13

Nov 30, 2008, 02:04 AM

Suggestion, wipe yourself before putting a new one on or use spermicidal cream.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 09:46 AM
    Don't be cheap, have more than one handy. Condom are not 100% effective as a birth control option. Better than nothing though, by a wide margin.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 03:51 PM

Have you thought about birth control pills as an extra precaution?

You should prob wipe yourself down at least! Before a new round (i.e. before you put on a new one)

Hehe and kudos on the sex drive!

Nov 30, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Wiping is a given, but I think I might try out the spermicide idea too, thanks.

I don't know why, but I think I'm just overly paranoid about the transfer of fluids haha.. :confused:

Yes, we have considered oral contraceptives but she doesn't like the thought of the hormones, estrogen and the possible side effects.. Hell, I know if she went on the pill it would be so much simpler and we would stop using rubber altogether.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 04:52 PM

That's true. (about the oral contraceptives). Personally I have preferred that in a relationship. Besides when you're in a relationship you usually check for STDs before hand and it just the two of you, and its pretty much just as safe as rubber

Nov 30, 2008, 05:14 PM

Neither of us are unfortunate enough to have been riddled with things like STI's.. Thankfully.

I did read something about male oral contraceptives in development, hopefully that will become commercially available sometime in the near future.
    Perhaps a visit to the physician to dish out some alternative methods will be best?
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 05:23 PM

Well it can help and in the mean time you can do the rubber and spermacide thing. :)

Nov 30, 2008, 05:26 PM

Yes.. Looks as if I've no other choice.
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2008, 05:35 PM

He he at least it is a choice right ;)

Nov 30, 2008, 05:42 PM

I guess, but seriously, it is such a damn hassle.
    I wonder if we'll even want to continue after that whole process.

Remove condom, wipe, apply spermicide on god knows how many places, open another condom, put it on... hassle I say.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 06:18 PM

Hassle, yes but that 2 am feeding and running to buy diapers gets to be a real pain also.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Hassle, yes but that 2 am feeding and running to buy diapers gets to be a real pain also.
    Exactly... plus the lifetime of grief and pleasure the resulting little one(s) pales in comparison to a few moments of proper precautions.

Dec 1, 2008, 12:04 PM

I can't seem to find spermicide at pharmacies and drug stores.
    Everything I read says that I don't need a prescription for nonoxynol-9, could it be different in Canada?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tfrog View Post
    Yes, we have considered oral contraceptives but she doesn't like the thought of the hormones, estrogen and the possible side effects.. Hell, I know if she went on the pill it would be so much simpler and we would stop using rubber altogether.
    Even if she use some form of birth control method condoms should still be use. Birth control isn't 100% effective but birth control and condoms can work hand in hand together.

Side effects from birth control varies from women to women. I used birth control pills and deprovera(the shot) and had no side effects. Also, they do have forms of birth control and maybe it is something she should discuss with her doctor if she wants to use one.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2008, 02:21 PM
    I can't seem to find spermicide at pharmacies and drug stores.
    Everything I read says that I don't need a prescription for nonoxynol-9, could it be different in Canada?
    You should be able to find it at sex shops too. But it should be by the condoms in the drug stores. You can Google where to buy it in your area.
    skittles001 Posts: 40, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2008, 10:49 PM

Wiping yourself would be very helpful, but as well it is doubtful as the cusp of the condom is slightly tighter then the rest. But for sanitary reasons, changing condoms after a good wipe would be the best answer, a simple wipe and change and right back at it, happy lovemaking.
    xoxaprilwine Posts: 582, Reputation: 71

Dec 17, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by liz28 View Post
    You should be able to find it at sex shops too. But it should be by the condoms in the drug stores. You can google where to buy it in your area.
    No, go to Shoppers Drug Mart... they have fun lubes and jellies there (ask the pharmacist) or go to the Adult Source - just find out what allergies she has if any (example. Allergic to nuts - don't buy anything that has coconut oil etc.). Wipe and change the condom... you don't want it to rip and you definitely don't want kids or STD's. Be smart. Be safe.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:50 AM

Adn something some people don't know...

Natural skin condoms are NOT a barrier to STD's.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
    I did read something about male oral contraceptives in development, hopefully that will become commercially available sometime in the near future.
    Perhaps a visit to the physician to dish out some alternative methods will be best?
    Don't hold your breath! I don't even think it is in clinical trials yet and they can take a couple of decades!

PS if your girlfriend is worried about the hormones of the pill tell her about the hormones of pregnancy...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you buy condoms? [ 12 Answers ]

Can u get extra large comndoms

Condoms and std [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this website. I'm 18 and a virgin (yeah that's right a virgin)and I was wondering if your partners has an std and shows symptoms like warts or something is it possible to get that std if you use a condome? And is it okay to double condoms so if one breaks you still have the other?just...

View more questions Search