Okay I just made this whole post and it signed me out so now I'm doing it again.
- older house, garage converted to 2 rooms
- don't know what was installed in the ceiling before
- wall dimmer switch
- 4 sets of wires into ceiling box
- hunter fan w/ light and remote control and cotrol module
I just need to know what connections need to be made, and if I need a new switch or no switch or what. I voluneered to install this for some friends and didn't know the wiring mess I was getting myself into.
Fan and Control Module:
I'm thinking maybe I can eliminate the wall switch and just hard wire the control module in and only use the remote. I'm not sure what all the sets of wires are for, maybe someone just spliced wires in for more connecitons or something rather than running a new circuit. I do know that of all the wires in the ceiling, they are connected to at least 2 breakers.
Please help me figure this out. I don't want to cause a fire or anything. I do have experience wiring light fixtures, but it was on newer houses with less confusing wiring.
Thanks in advance,
Ok, I figured out that of the four sets of wires in the ceiling box:
- one goes to the circuit breaker (of course)
- one goes to an attic light
- one isn't even connected and it doesn't seem to affect anything in the house (asssuming it's the one that goes to the switch)
- the other one I can't tell what it goes to.
I'm thinking I need to have a switch on the wall just in case the remote gets lost. I guess a dimmer switch wouldn't really be the best switch for the job.
Is there any way to find out for sure if the wire that is disconnected is the one that actually goes to the switch? Some kind of tester? Maybe I'll just turn the power off and disconnect the attic light and the other unknown connecetd wire and see what happense when I turn the power back on (if something doesn't turn back on then I know where it's going, and I know the other one is to the switch.