Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdswartz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 07:46 AM
    100 Amp Subpanel from 200 Amp main panel
    I want to install a subpanel to be used to supply branch circuits to a new kitchen, laundry, garage, and some additional lighting and receptacles. The 200 amp main panel is about 50 ft away but because of the obstructions, we'll need about 85 feet of cable to connect the 100 amp subpanel. Since we'll need to run through the floor joists in the basement for most of the length (50 ft) it would be eaiser to use a smaller copper conductor. My question is, can we use a #4-3 Romex to connect the subpanel? If not, what type and size of copper cable do I need to use? If we have to use aluminum, what is the appropriate size? I've been told SEU 2 ga. By one supply house and SEU 1 ga. By another.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 08:52 AM
    For a residential 100 amp feeder, either #4 copper or # 2 aluminum is allowed, per NEC Table 310.15(B)(6).

Supply house employees should not be consulting anyone about anything that they sell, unless they are licensed and/or trained regarding sizes, ratings, etc.

Be sure this feeder will have four wires, two live and one neutral, plus one bare or green wire for the equipment ground. Keep the equipment ground and neutral separated at the subpanel.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 24, 2007, 12:22 PM
    While bhayne's advice would be practical under other circumstances, it seems that he is only guessing for this situation.

I, however, will rely on facts.

If the feeder was to be loaded to it's maximum of 80 amps, a #4 copper would result with a 4.1 volts dropped, well within the recommended 3% maximum, that being 7.2 volts.

#2 Al will give 4.3 volts dropped, again well below the max of 7.2 volts.

Unless you will have motors larger than 2 HP, or a large welder, the #4 or #2 wire will serve you fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

Running 100 amp service panal 200 ft away from main 200 amp service [ 4 Answers ]

I am looking to find out how big the wire needs to be to carry the load. This will be a 100 amp service coming from a 200 amp main . It will need to travel 200 to 250 ft underground to a barn. If some one could help me that would be great thaxs)))

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

200 Amp Service Panel with 60 Amp Main Breakers [ 26 Answers ]

I was told when we purchased our house that it had 200 Amp service which it appears to be; however, the top of each bus bars only has 60 Amp breakers for the Main shut offs. Is this normal? Each bus bar is connected to a hot wire (one red and one black) and then the two 60 amp breakers are...

View more questions Search