Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raptor4069 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Can I switch a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker?
    :confused: can I switch a 15 amp breaker to a 20 amp breaker? I just bought a home tanning bed and the plug has a horizontal plug which won't fit in a regular outlet. I bought a 20 amp outlet and installed it. The tanning bed tripped the circuit breaker. I got a 20 amp circuit breaker and replaced the 15 amp breaker that was in the box. Will this be a fire hazard or will it trip the breaker before it catches fire? Since I installed the 20 amp the breaker hasn't tripped again. I have also tried to look on the internet and see what amps a tanning bed needs to run with no luck.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 02:20 AM
    If the wire for the 15 amp outlet and breaker is #14, then what you have done is created a fire hazard. The 15 amp breaker was in place to protect the wire from overheating, and you have removed that limit, and now allowing the wire to overheat.

There should be a label or nameplate somewhere on the unit, just the fact of the 20 amp plug coming on it from the factory dictates it needs a 20 amp circuit.

Stop using the unit until a new #12 cable can be installed along with the 20 amp breaker and outlet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

20 amp recpt. On a 15 amp breaker [ 2 Answers ]

Do I need to replace my breaker to a 20 amp? I have electric heaters that heat up my recpt and plugs an heaters what sshould I do?:confused: :confused:

15 or 20 amp breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

My father-in-law replaced a 15 amp circuit breaker with a 20 amp circuit breaker a few weeks ago. This breaker is for the outlets in our living room as well as one outlet in our kitchen so it serves lights, a television, dvd, CD, and our refrigerator. Yesterday, I set up our Christmas tree and...

15 amp breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Rewiring my kitchen, I have refrigerator, stove with electronic ignition, exhaust hood, and a microwave, and a duplex plug. Wondering if too much power for 15 amp breaker. Thanks for any info.

View more questions Search