Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deacon22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 01:15 PM
    20 Amp outlet. Have an a/c with 15 amp plug
    I have a big problem in that my window is less than 26 inches wide. I need a 24,000 BTU air condtioner. The only AC I found is a GE ASM24DK. It has a 220 volt 15 Amp Perpendicular plug. The problem is that I have a 220 outlet, but the plug type seems to be a 20 amp. The top of the outlet has a sideways T on the right along with a slash on the left. This is how it looks just in case I am not explaining it right. -| -. My quesiton is can I just change the outlet, or am I going to have to change the whole line? If so, how much does that usually cost?
    Thank you very much.
    Chris
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
    You can change the outlet to a combination 20 & 15 amp outlet, sometimes called a T rated outlet because on opening looks like a T.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2? [ 13 Answers ]

I have a few questions that I need help on. I recently moved into my home and discovered a few things. 1. 12-2 wire has been ran throughout the house. Can you use a 15 amp outlet on a 20 AMP breaker with 12-2?? 2. How many lights would you say you can run on 12-2 and/or 14-2 wire? 3. How...

15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment? [ 22 Answers ]

I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?

20 AMP Outlet on a 30 AMP Circuit [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding putting a 20 amp outlet on a 30 amp circuit. I'm replacing appliances in my kitchen, and there's currently a 30 amp, 240V, 3-wire + ground feed to the location where the oven is located, on a 30 amp, double pole breaker. I'm planning to install an electric oven (240V)...

400 amp service with 2-200 amp panels & 320 amp socket [ 6 Answers ]

Hi TK. I am running 400 amp service into my new contruction home. The electric compnay is running a single 400 amp line to the meter. I have to split it to the two panels at that point. You had told me once before that I need a 320 amp meter socket and then run 2-200 amp lines to the separate...

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

View more questions Search