Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wyeast Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
    PVC or Metal conduit into a subpanel?
    Hello,
    I'm installing a 200 amp subpanel in my barn, and am using 2" PVC conduit (buried) from the house. As I was going into the barn, I got to thinking that perhaps metal should be used above ground (in the wall feeding the panel). I would prefer to use the 2" PVC, all the way, but was wondering what the code might require.
    Thank you, Wyeast
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 04:30 AM
    PVC Schedule 40 conduit is fairly tough stuff, and unless the location the riser will be is subjected to physical damage, the PVC will be fine. Many local codes require that when PVC Sch40 conduit rises out of concrete, the conduit riser must be steel rigid conduit, not so much for protection, but the conduit is apt to snap off at the point the conduit exits the concrete.

It is also a standard practice to use steel elbows in the ground where the wire runs are large and/or long. Long heavy wire pulls tend to burn through the plastic elbow due to the friction.

Using metal at the riser will always be a much better installation.
    ssnook Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2011, 02:40 PM
    300.5(D) (4) requires at least scedual 80 or in rigid conduit.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2011, 07:46 PM
    300.5(D) requires schedule 80 if the pipe is in an area where it could be damaged. In the wall is not such an area.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 5, 2011, 05:52 AM

Please check the date of the thread you are responding to. This item is from 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Metal and non metal temperature [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me why metals are or appear to be colder than non metals?

Subpanel/SEU/conduit [ 1 Answers ]

I read a previous post here referring to SEU cable, and due to its construction, it could be run indoors to the load panel without using conduit. I need to install a sub panel for my air compressor and welder. The sub panel will be in the attached garage, and the total distance between the main...

Connecting pvc to pvc with no hub fitting [ 8 Answers ]

My plumber ran into a dilemma when installing rough plumbing for a new basement bathroom. After already laying the pvc piping in place under the broken up concrete floor we found the pvc to cast iron Tee connections leaking. This was discovered after I had filled the opening with a base of gravel...

Metal 2 pvc is there a way [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying 2 install a water filter off my water line coming into the house. They tell me it needs to be installed before it goes any farther than when it comes in the house. The problem I'm having is the house is all metal screw pipe. The big question is will pvc glue to it or screw to it or any...

Metal Basement Duct work change out for PVC [ 5 Answers ]

I have a rectuangular suppluy and return system that feed from from furnace at one end of my basement. It has two main leads out. They branch off and finally reduct to a single duct at the far end of my house. I'm looking to put in a drop celling and would love to swap out my existing duct work...

View more questions Search