Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anniesez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Ceiling Fan/Light Dual wall control issue (I think)
    I tried to change the dual control switch on my ceiling fan with light to one that had a remote transmitter that was installed in the ceiling... I could not get it to work; so, I just replaced it as it had been. (Or so I thought!) Now, the light works but the fan does not. I must have done something differently during the re-wiring, but I am stumped as to what could have happened.

The fan has 4 wires: Green, Blue, White and Black. It is wired to the home this way: green to ground, white to white, black to black and blue to red.

In the wall, there are 2 sets of wires, ( a group of 3 and a group of 4) 7 wires total: 2 black, 2 white, 2 ground and a red. The switch is wired EXACTLY as it was when the fan was working 2 days ago: Green to ground, black to the black on the 4-wire group, black striped to the black on the 3-wire group and red to red. The whites are wire-nutted together and are not wired to the switch at all.

I am not sure if the propblem is in the wall switch or in the fan or in the ceiling. I have checked the circuit breakers in the home (OK) I have checked whether the wires in the ceiling are hot (they are) I have used the pull chain while the switch was on to make sure it wasn't set to "off" and I have checked the fan's reversal switch. What could I possibly have done? How can I fix it?

Help!
    Christopher_amatulli Posts: 45, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Sounds to me like either the wire isn't correct :) or maybe from pulling the switch and putting it back in it managed to break the contacts on the inside. I would suggest getting another switch and trying it out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2007, 09:37 AM
    If you want one switch or the remote to control both fan and light, you need to connect both the black and blue fan wires to it, likely the black. Disconnect both ends of the red and cap it. Leave the switch with the red wire in the off position. If you want to use the remote, leave the switch with the black in the eon position. If ceilingfanrepair posts different details, go by them.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Ok, in your switch box, the 4 wire group is going to the fan, the three wire group is coming from your power supply.

Try switching the two blacks, so that the striped one goes to the black from the 4 wire set, and the non-striped one goes to the black from the 3 wire set. Also make sure the 2 wires are connected securely.

Once you get it back working as it was, we will address how to get it working with the control you bought.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 04:06 PM
    I'll add, you said you checked to be sure the ceiling wires are hot? How did you do so?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote Control Light and Ceiling Fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I have just had two Omega Casablanca remote control Ceiling and Light fans fitted. My question I have noticed that when I use my microwave oven this will turn on the light or fan on these units, is this normal and how can I rectify the problem. Thanking you kindly, sarah 1:confused:

Hamilton ceiling fan remote and wall control [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a hamilton bay ceiling fan equipped with a remote, Can I also install a Wall control unit to work with the remote? Are they compatible? Can they both be used with the same fan at the same time? (as long as they are on the same frequency?)

Wall Speed control on old ceiling fan install new with pull switch [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old celing fan purchased in the 80's with a wall mount speed control knob. I purchased a Hampton Bay, Huntinton III 522-306 3 speed control with a pull chain. When installing the unit the fan does not work. I have a white wire, a black wire, a blue wire for the light and a ground...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Hampton bay Ceiling fan wall control [ 10 Answers ]

I have a hampton bay delano ceiling fan, it came with a wall wired remote control. The wall remote uses rf to control the fan, it is wired into the house electrics. The wall remote has 2 black wires and a green ground. Both of the black wires have a note that says not to wire them into the white...

View more questions Search