Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caplinger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Power in 2 bedrooms went out.
    Power in 2 bedrooms went out. The rest of the house is fine. Checked the breaker. Switch. Didn't bring back power. What's the problem?

House is 15 years old. Some of the electrical outlets are loose... meaning you plug in a computer and the plug falls out.

Thanks Carol
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Turn breaker off. See which outlets and switches work and which don't. Remove one of the non-working outlets. See if the wiring is connected using the "quick connect" holes in the back of the outlet. If so remove and put wiring under the screw terminals of the outlet. Do all outlets and switches on that circuit.
    The "quick connects" are know to develop bad connections over time.
    The bad connection can be at the last working outlet or the first non-working outlet.

Replace any outlet that the plug "falls out".
    caplinger Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2013, 08:17 PM
    HKstroud:

Had an Electrician come out and $1400.00 later fixed the problem.

There were lots of "quick connects" installed in the house. He suggested replacing all the Plugs and switches, which is what he did.
    All the breaker switches had voltage going to them.

He said that over a period , it's a good idea to replace the plugs and switches. I had a few dimmer switches but these were fine and he replaced those anyway.

He said that the 'Problem" must have been somewere in the wall between the 2 bedrooms....but not sure what the problem was exactly.
    He did say that a few of the outlets that he replaced just "Popped out".

I thought this might be over kill for the service he was doing. Some of the plugs we don't use at all. He said its just best to replace all at once.

Thanks for your help.

Aug 22, 2013, 08:48 PM
    Thanks for the feed back. That was a lot of bucks for a relatively simple task. Although it does take some time. Quite sure the problem was the "quick connects".
    He said that the 'Problem" must have been somewere in the wall between the 2 bedrooms... but not sure what the problem was exactly.
    That doesn't sound like a very professional assessment to me.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2013, 03:58 AM
    So maybe you live somewhere in downtown Manhattan... or Alaska... where everything is expensive and $1400 was a good deal...
    Wherever, it's always a good idea to price multiple contractors and when you find a "good" one... hold on tight...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2013, 05:06 AM
    The price sounds high? I am betting he use the old style, over Decora style, this will allow him maximum profit, If he changed to Decora Style, it would have been a Very Good thing, as it makes the House appear much newer.
    What style was used?

Aug 23, 2013, 06:07 AM
    when you find a "good" one... hold on tight...
    That's certainly a true statement, no matter what the trade.

Just as an aside, I was looking through Craig's List recently and saw several adds where people who claimed to be licensed electricians were looking to barter their trade. Times are tough for a lot of people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power in 2 bedrooms went out [ 2 Answers ]

The powere in 2 bedrooms when out. The rest of the house is fine. What's the propblem. The house is 12 -15 years old. 2 outlets are installed very poorly. When I plug in my computer it won't hold the plug in place and the plug fallls out.

Partial power in 2 bedrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I have lost partial power in two bedrooms. One bedroom lost outlets & the other bedroom lost outlets and lights.When I check the ground and hot I get 120v but when I check the neutral and hot I get 95v. I've changed the light switch. Checked all the outlets to make sure they are tight connections....

No electric in two of my three bedrooms [ 3 Answers ]

My back two bedrooms has no electric. The breaker is not kicked off. What else could it be? Builded this house 11years ago. Can anyone hhelp?

View more questions Search