Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Caveman1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
    Certain appliances--refrigerator, microwave, washer, dryer, A/C--no longer work...
    Certain appliances--refrigerator, microwave, washer, dryer, air conditioner--no longer work, while light bulbs, computer, and fan still work.

I had an electrician here recently because at one point nothing worked at all. It all started when the microwave (while being used) started wavering a bit, as though it was about to turn off. It then did. [It gave me the impression that it wasn't getting enough power.]

The electrician fixed things (he replaced a box-like thing at street-level; it was called something like a "converter" but that's not exactly right) but then the "bigger" appliances started to not work. By the way It was a neighbor of mine who offered the electrician the solution (the box that needed replacing), since apparently it's been a particular problem of the whole building.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 01:47 PM
    What type of building is this? Also have you tried talking to the power company yet ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Hi Caveman

Are you on breakers or fuses?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 04:09 PM
    The significant term here is "Building".

If this an apartment building or a Condo you need to stay away from any electrical work. Only licensed electricians may work on electrical issues within a multifamily building.

The list of failing devices is a little overwhelming for an apartment.

To begin with, a dryer is a 240 Vac appliance I don't know about the a/c unit. This is significant because a 240Vac appliance uses two ungrounded (120 Vac) branch-circuits to create the 240Vac.

So suspicion now falls on the "Supply Side" conductors. If one of the hot busbars is failing because of any reason (a meter base that has weak/poor connections - a failing feed conductor) you would lose quite a bit of circuits in several different rooms while other rooms and lights might work just fine.

The immediate thing to do is to have the power company come out and verify that they are supplying the proper voltage and amperage to the building.

If that is correct than the "Landlord" must get a licensed electrician to determine the failure and fix for the problem. I suspect that the failure is between the main feed and the feed to your apartment.

I don't understand why the electrician didn't take a simple volt meter reading at your service panel to make sure your apartment was getting 240 Vac on the feeders.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't get the dryer section of my used Kenmore washer dryer combo to work. [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a used Kenmore washer dryer combo model #417.94702300. Wired it as 120 volt. The washer works fine but dryer does not work at all. Does the dryer section of this Combo machine require 220 volts to function? I can't figure it out. How many thermal Switches are in this unit? Can I...

Appliances half work but not their high power draw parts like stove and clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Everything in our house is electrical; stove, heat, hot water, dryer etc.. Yesterday we lost hot water. A check w/a voltimeter showed power to the heating element so we thought we would need to replace it. However this morning we have found several other weird things are occurring. Our electric...

Kenmore stackable washer/dryer broken. Washer doesn't work [ 0 Answers ]

When starting a wash load on my stackable kenmore washer/dryer it starts to fill with water and it clicks. The lights in my house were dimming off and on and the washer sounds like a car trying to start.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

View more questions Search