Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    David Miller Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2013, 09:50 PM
    100amp wire size
    Hi, I'm running a 100 amp sub panel aproximatly 85 feet from the 200 amp main for an apartment. What size wire should I run?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 7, 2013, 06:17 AM
    In most States, you must be a licensed electrician to do work on multi-family dwellings.

Also, if you are using a panelboard for an apartment you cannot use that panelboard to feed devices that are used for the apartment complex, such as laundry rooms, lighting. That would have the renters paying for devices that belong to the complex.

As to your question about cable size. If the panel boards are listed for 60 (C), you must use a #1 AWG conductors. If your panel boards are listed for 75(C) than you can use a cable with #3 conductors.

Also you must use a four conductor cable that is listed for the type of installation you are going to use. (I.E. Below ground / Above ground)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a second panel to my house 100amp what size wire do I need? [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a second 100amp circuit panel box for an in-law apartment is 2-2-2 wire the right size since I have a ranch house and the wire will be around 100 feet long and running in the attic which is hot.

Maximum wire size 100amp ge breaker? [ 1 Answers ]

Considering using 1/0-1/0-1/0 aluminum sheathed wire for connection between 200 amp GE box and 100 amp GE box (100 amp breaker to 100 amp breaker)

What size ground do I need for a 100AMP sub panel 300ft away? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100A sub-panel 300ft away from the main breaker. I plan on using #1 AWG copper wire for both the 2 hots and neutral to accommodate Vdrop for up to 70 solar PV micro inverters that I am using. What size ground should I use? Not accounting for distance I know I can use #8 AWG...

200amp to 100amp-copper wire [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- I am adding a 1500sq ft second story to my home. I have new 200amp panel on first floor. It is only about 1/2 used. I bought a 100amp panel for the upstairs. What size wire is needed to run from the downstairs 200amp, up to the 100amp panel. It is a distance of only 10ft or less. ...

4 wire 100amp service box but only 3 wires? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: 4 wire 100amp service box but only 3 wires? I replaced my water heater with a tankless water heater. My service box is set up for hot, hot, neutral, and appliance ground for 220 watt hook up. But the water heater only has 3 wires, hot hot, and "Bare wire" ground. I currently have the...

View more questions Search