Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaa4111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 02:29 PM
    Calculating the load on a panel - commercial property
    Our landlord requires that as the management company for a commercial office building, we take panel load readings for each hour for 7 days, before adding load to a panel. We bought the meter; the in-house electrician brings me the readings on a chip and I have to reformat them to send to the landlord prior to our doing work. So if the panel is rated at 225a, and A leg has a MAX load of 32.77 a, the B leg has a MAX load of 21.62 and C Leg has a MAX load of 49.88, is the total MAX load for the panel 104.27?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 03:15 PM
    No, the amperage is not cumulative. It's just A, B & C.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 05:42 AM
    kaa,
    Please review the electrical code article 220.87... this is what should be required by the electrical subcode official before allowing the landlord's to add load to their buildings.

What is the voltage and phase of this 225A panel? 208V, 3 Phase or 480V 3 Phase?
    If you multiply the A phase voltage x the A phase amperage = A phase power in Watts...
    do the same for each phase and then add them for a total.

The concept of "maximum" load is relative to the time the load is measured. In the summer the HVAC load is a large part of most service loads. In the winter the measured load will be 40% to 60% less, unless you have electric heat.

So be careful of the panel you are measuring and take note of the time of year and the possible equipment that may be connected but not running. Emon Dmon demand meters that record load over a years time are good reference.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 05:43 AM
    I forgot to mention that to be more accurate you need to measure also the "power factor" of the load you are measuring...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sub panel load size from main panel 200 amp to 100sub 350 ft [ 1 Answers ]

Wire conduit size fromm a main 200 amp panel to a 100 amp sub panel 350 ft away

Calculating load per circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

How do I calculate how much load I can place on a nn amp circuit breaker? My knowns would be voltage and watts per hour. How to I allow for (amp draw) when a shop motor or freezer compressor spins up at initial start?

Calculating Electrical Load Non-Occupied Home [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I am trying to qualify for an Ag rate on a non-occupied country home. The home is 2100 square feet and has a full kitchen and washer/dryer. It also has a swimming pool with a cleaner and a hot tub. The oven and hot tub are powered by propane. All heat is by gas stove and no air conditioning....

Calculating circuit load [ 4 Answers ]

In calculating the load for a residential general purpose circuit that will have lights on it, can I use the wattage of fluorescent energy saving bulbs instead of the incandescent ones, since that is what I will be using? It doesn't sound likely, but thought I would ask anyway.

View more questions Search