Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenleon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 02:01 PM
    Why is my breaker switch turning off when I turn light switch to off posiion
    The box where my kitchen light fixture is located has 4 wires (each with a black and white wire inside for a total of 6 wires). I have determined one wire (wire#1) is providing power, (wire#2) is the power to an outlet in the bathroom, (wire#3) is power to outlet in dinning room, and (wire#4) is switch to the kitchen light fixture.

(Wire #4 is a new wire, I took out the old and bought new wire to extend the switch to another wall.)

Here is what is happening:
    I believe all of the whites were together in one cap and all the blacks together in one cap. So I rewired this way. When I do this all the lights work correctly with the exception of the kitchen light with the new wire and new switch. It gets power but as soon as I turn the switch off the breaker switch turns off.

So I trouble shoot:
    I rewired each room separate to the power. Each room works fine on its own. When I wire the kitchen I get the same result. Light goes on, and then I hit the switch in the off position and it switches the breaker to off.

More trouble shooting:
    I read that I might need to wire black to white and white to back because their might be a loop. This does not work either, another person told me to not wire the white to the switch, this sounded weird but I tried it. I get nothing when I do this. I am stumped!!

Please help!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 07:06 PM
    4 wires (each with a black and white wire inside for a total of 6 wires).
    That would be 4 cables, not wires and the total would be 8 wires.

I believe all of the whites were together in one cap and all the blacks together in one cap.
    I assume that you mean all the wires except the wires connected to the switch. That would be 3 blacks connected together and 3 whites connected together. That is also probably where the 6 wires comment comes from.

If you replaced the cable between the switch and the light, tell how you connected the wires in the light itself and how you have connected the switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch will turn off under cabinet light, but won't turn light back on [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all: I recently installed under cabinet lighting in my kitchen. I added a single pole switch to an existing GFCI outlet, and then wired said switch to a surface mounted receptacle on top of my cabinets. I wired everything up, and the lights work great. The problem: When I turn...

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

My A/C won't turn off w/o me going and manually turning of the main switch [ 6 Answers ]

Previously an HVAC person rewired my furnace wrong after doing an "annual" cleaning--twice-- followed by a "you just need a new thermostat". Well thermostat isn't the problem--its the wiring(somewhere) Now that I've turned on the A/C the fan wouldn't turn on. They got that to turn on, but now...

Turning on light switch trips breaker. [ 3 Answers ]

This is another 2 fold problem. I've just purchased an older home and the wiring in the master bedroom is giving me major problems. Problem 1 has to do with receptacles and a light switch. There are 6 receptacles and 2 light switches in the room which is also connected to the bathroom light and...

View more questions Search