Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timfree Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
    How many watts solar will I need to run a/c at 15 a
    I want to run a/c in my home off solar panels with batt bank how many watt solar panels will I need
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 11:07 AM
    How cloudy does it get where you live?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Going green sounds great but for high AC power needs not usually a practical solution unless you have abundant sun and $$. Lots of up front money for panels and batteries, only produces DC and you will need an inverter to get AC. What happens at night with high heat and humidity? Last one I looked at for a similar install was almost $8,000 just for parts. I would spend my money on more insulation or better windows.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Yes, and you have to overbuild to compensate for the very cloudy days... because output varies so dramatically... and if you are off-grid... you have to seriously overbuild to make up for the hours you have no daylight at all.

So you see that was a VERY loaded question... leaving a lot of important points unclarified.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2013, 05:27 AM
    How many solar panels do you need for lets say... a 1500 watt air conditioner?
    Let's assume the panels are 200 watts per panel, the inverter is rated for at least 2,000 watts, if we assume best case conditions for location geometry and sunlight and let's guess at an overall 60% system efficiency, I would venture at least 12 or more panels...
    And this AC will only run for a limited period on sunny days...
    If you are really interested in purchasing a solar system call a supplier and they will calcs for you for free...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many watts I need to run 3 fans, 1 TV, I small pump, and 5 23 watt ligths? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get off grid and get on solar power, plan to use solar panels, controller, power inverter and deep cycle batteries. What combination of solar panels and batteries need to be able to run 3 fans, 1 fridge, 1 TV, 1 small pump, and 5 23 watt lights?

How do I run my air conditioner with solar panels? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to figure out how to install solar panels that would power only my ac. How can I do this and would it be extremely expensive?

How do I run my air conditioner with solar panels [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in sunny Puerto Rico and I am interested in installing solar (photovoltaic) panels to run the house; however, no one is able to tell me how to operate our a/c. I understand the issue with the high energy demand when the compressor kicks in, but how do I overcome it? With...

How many watts can solar panels generate in a day? [ 2 Answers ]

Thinking about installing solar panels on my house. If I can get a better picture of what my home uses, then I would know many panels I would need

View more questions Search