Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Jul 2, 2013, 09:01 AM
    What wire gauge in kitchen?
    Hello, I have a question regarding 12-2 NM cable sold for residential wiring. The specification says that 12 gauge wire is for 9.3 A maximum power transmission and 41.1 A for chassis power. The copper wires in the cable are bundled, therefore, according to the specs, the maximum current should not exceed 9.3 A. An electric kettle alone takes about 1.5 kW, which translates into roughly 12 A current.

Why is then this cable required by code for wiring kitchen outlets and for kitchen circuits with 20 A breakers?

Or does this mean that this cable is acceptable in 20 A kitchen circuits as long as a thicker gauge is pulled through the house to deliver power from the main board to kitchen?

Thanks, h.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 10:32 AM
    Don't know where you are getting those numbers. 12/3 NMC is rated for 20 Amps. Standard kitchen wiring is 2 X 20 Amp circuits, GFCI protected.

Jul 2, 2013, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Don't know where you are getting those numbers. 12/3 NMC is rated for 20 Amps. Standard kitchen wiring is 2 X 20 Amp circuits, GFCI protected.
    This info is in technical wire gauge tables. This is why the whole business is confusing. Cables are bundled insulated wires with little possibility for heat dissipation. In old houses with original wiring, "hot" and "neutral" 12 gauge wires are pulled separately from the main meeting only at receptacles etc. This makes them individual chassis with a much higher current rating.

Should the feed wire for 20 A kitchen circuits be at least 10 gauge?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 12:08 PM
    This info is in technical wire gauge tables. This is why the whole business is confusing. Cables are bundled insulated wires with little possibility for heat dissipation. In old houses with original wiring, "hot" and "neutral" 12 gauge wires are pulled separately from the main meeting only at receptacles etc. This makes them individual chassis with a much higher current rating.

Should the feed wire for 20 A kitchen circuits be at least 10 gauge?
    What technical wire gauge table are you referring to? The only ones you need are in the NEC.
    Yes, it can be confusing, which is why DIYers should not put such little importance on things like residential wiring. The whole "it's not rocket science" thing is BS. No, it's not rocket science, but it's not that simple either.

In some old houses knob & tube wiring was used, but not many.

No, #12 is breakerd at 20A. In fact, the actual amperage is much higher, but we are limited to 20A.

Why are you asking all this? What are you questioning and why?

Jul 2, 2013, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    What technical wire gauge table are you referring to?? The only ones you need are in the NEC.
    Yes, it can be confusing, which is why DIYers should not put such little importance on things like residential wiring. The whole "it's not rocket science" thing is BS. No, it's not rocket science, but it's not that simple either.

In some old houses knob & tube wiring was used, but not many.

No, #12 is breakerd at 20A. In fact, the actual amperage is much higher, but we are limited to 20A.

Why are you asking all this? What are you questioning and why?
    Thanks for all the info. I am trying to make an estimate for materials and see if any extra circuits are necessary and what kind for a kitchen in an old house with limited amperage and number of circuits.

Yes, it is confusing because different agencies provide different information, but not because it is so difficult, so it should be left to professionals.

The one I have pulled the specs off is American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits with skin depth frequencies and wire strength
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Stick with residential building wiring charts. I would not bother with electronics or industrial type sites and charts.

Also, it is not as simple as "what does the chart say?" The NEC says #12THHN has an ampacity of 30A, but there are several other sections that limit it to 20A in NM cable in most installations. The chart is not always the bottom line.

The same #12NM cable for an air conditioner condenser could very well be on a 40A breaker and still be safe and completely within code.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Where are you located?
    Or does this mean that this cable is acceptable in 20 A kitchen circuits as long as a thicker gauge is pulled through the house to deliver power from the main board to kitchen?
    That statement makes me think that you are possible in UK or EU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I connect 14 gauge wire to a light fixture that came with 16 gauge wire [ 4 Answers ]

Can I connect 14 gauge wire to a light fixture that came with 16 gauge wire. This is for lighting in a outside shed.

I ran 6 gauge wire from my breaker then connected to 10 gauge to my hot tub [ 1 Answers ]

I had a hot tub that ran with 10 gage wire. I bought a new one and was told Run 6 Gage from breaker to a sub panel. I was told I could use my 10 Gage Wire I already have in place. Is this true

Gauge wire required for kitchen stove - 60 ft run - 220 v [ 1 Answers ]

Want to run 220 v line for electric range - 60 ft run - what gauge wire is required

View more questions Search