Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brysize Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2005, 11:50 AM
    Trying to install bathroom in basement
    I am a rookie or novice person. I am good with instructions. I have an unfinished basement. In the basement, I have a full bath rough-in. I am looking for a good book to use as a guide on how to finish my bathroom. I am thinking of adding a full bath in the basement. I need guidance in what step and the order to take to get the job done.

My two sets are as follows: I have one bigger pipe and one smaller pipe. The big pipe is about 4" in diameter. The small pipe is about 2" in diameter. I am thinking the big one is for the waste or water. The smaller one is for the vent. Right?

I also don't mind getting a plumber to do the final connections, but I would like to do the rough-in for him. At the minimum I need to do the walls and leave him enough room to make his install. Any suggestions would be much appriecated. Thank you for your feedback. :D
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 1, 2005, 01:31 PM
    Basement rough in
    Quote Originally Posted by Brysize
    I am a rookie or novice person. I am good with instructions. I have an unfinished basement. In the basement, I have a full bath rough-in. I am looking for a good book to use as a guide on how to finish my bathroom. I am thinking of adding a full bath in the basement. I need guidance in what step and the order to take to get the job done.

My two sets are as follows: I have one bigger pipe and one smaller pipe. The big pipe is about 4" in diameter. The small pipe is about 2" in diameter. I am thinking the big one is for the waste or water. The smaller one is for the vent. Right?

I also don't mind getting a plumber to do the final connections, but I would like to do the rough-in for him. At the minimum I need to do the walls and leave him enough room to make his install. Any suggestions would be much appriecated. Thank you for your feedback. :D
    Let me turn you on to a few books to read about plumbing. Go to a book store or library and pick up a set of three books published by Audel.
    The set is called, PLUMBERS AND PIPEFITTERS LIBRARY by Jules Oravetz, Sr.
    One book instructs you on, drainage, fittings and fixtures, another instructs you on, Installation, heating and welding and the third will cover materials, tools and calculations
    These are books I've used for years as reference guides, both in the field and in answering questions. The 4" pipe is for the toilet and you will bring that 2" pipe up 17" from thefloor and install a 2 X 2 X 1 1/2" drainage tee to pick up the lavatory and then continue on out the roof for a vent. Of course if you have questions we will be more then happy to help. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Install/move electrical box in bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install modern lighting in my master bathroom. I currently have fluorescent lighting surrounded by framing to hide the lighting fixtures. Problem is, since my home is close to 30 years old, the conductor feeding the fixtures comes straight out of the wall, without the presence of an...

Basement Shower Install [ 4 Answers ]

I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for...

Basement Shower Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. It was originally roughed in for a toilet and sink, of course, we want a shower as well. The shower will go close to where an existing floor drain was, so I dug up the floor and took out the old floor drain trap, y'd the line and put in a new...

Basement Tub Install [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am just getting ready to frame the basement for a bathroom and have a few questions. We just recently had our house built and had 2 rough in's put into the basement that empty into a pit that has a grinder pump attached to it. Nothing is currently using the grinder pump, the first...

Install bathroom plumbing undisturbed subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting an upstairs bedroom into a bathroom. There is an existing hardwood floor which I'd like to keep for the bathroom. Can I install the drains for the toilet and tub from under the bathroom floor without tearing up any of the hardwood floor and just cutting the floor at the drain...

View more questions Search