Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrCivil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2013, 12:49 PM
    Using both hot wires from 2 switches when wiring a remote controlled ceiling fan
    I know it is said to cap off one of the hot wires (red or black) when installing a remote controlled fan on a two switch circuit where one switch once controlled the lights and the other controlled the fan, but my question is would connecting the other hot wire directly to the fan's light wire and receiver's light out wire cause a short circuit in the connection and damage the receiver. I would still like to be able to use a switch to control the light only instead of always having to use the remote control for the light. I like the remote feature and do not want to disconnect the receiver's light out wire from the fan's light wire.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2013, 02:03 PM
    You can disconnect the light wire, usually blue or black with a white stripe, from the receiver circuit and directly connect to the second switch lead.
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Jun 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
    I highly recommend the following guide for wiring a ceiling fan

Ceiling Fan Wiring Instructions, Electrical Wiring for Ceiling Fan by Wiring Color

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for a remote control ceiling fan with two switches [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a hunter ceiling fan remote (the fan has pull chains). I have two switches on the wall one for the lights and one for the fan. So coming from the ceiling is 4 wires black, red, white, copper. The fan has a black, blue, green, white. The receiver has black (hot), white (neu), black...

Wiring a ceiling fan with light, remote and 2 wall switches [ 1 Answers ]

My new Harbor Breeze Avian comes with a remote, ceiling fan and light. My previous ceiling fan worked off two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. To get it to work, we wired black to black, white to white and red to blue. But now it only works off the 2 switches and the remote does not...

Ceiling fan wiring with transmitter, remote, and 2 switches? [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a few other fans in the house that didn't have remotes and they were very easy to install/wire. I am trying to install an outdoor ceiling fan at my house which is brand new and had a prewire installed during construction. The fan I am installing in a Hampton Bay Veranda II which has...

Replacing remote controlled ceiling fan with different wiring [ 3 Answers ]

The house we bought has a Seagull ceiling fan that is controlled only by remote control. After about 4 years now, the fan doesn't act properly. When turning on the light, there is a delay and then the light flicks for a variety of time, on-off, on-off, on-off, until finally it comes on completely...

Wiring a remote controlled fan to run from dual switches on wall [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new remote controlled hampton bay mediterranian fan and want to be able to control the fan and lights from wall switches as well. How do I wire it to the switches to run each separately?

View more questions Search