Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keahgirl8 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Wiring
    The chain in our Hampton Bay ceiling fan broke recently. When this happened, the light would not work. When we took it apart, we found that a piece of plastic inside the switch had been broken. We replaced the switch, and now the fan does not work. We are going to check and double check the way it was wired to make sure it is correct, but my question is this: Does the remote have to be reprogrammed or something when the switch is changed? I would really appreciate some advice on this! The technician at the company told us he has no idea which wires go in which holes in the switch, because the colors we have should not be on that fan. We're getting a little desperate here!

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 08:46 PM
    You might want to try this link:

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Ok, did you replace the light's pullchain, or the fan's?

It sounds like you replaced the light's pullchain, and maybe disconnected a wire while you were in there, probably the white wire. Look around and make sure everything is connected.

Mar 25, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ceilingfanrepair
    Ok, did you replace the light's pullchain, or the fan's?

It sounds like you replaced the light's pullchain, and maybe disconnected a wire while you were in there, probably the white wire. Look around and make sure everything is connected.

We changed the pullchain for the fan. We thought the light was the problem, but when we took the fan apart, the piece that was broken was the switch with 4 wires. We were told this is the fan switch.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 04:27 PM
    If the light wasn't working, the problem wouldn't be with the fan pullchain. It's likely you have two separate issues. Add to that, you have a remote fan!

Does the light work now?

See this link for pullchain replacement:

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Mar 26, 2007, 05:33 PM
    If the light wasnt working, the problem wouldnt be with the fan pullchain. it's likely you have two separate issues. Add to that, you have a remote fan!

Does the light work now?

See this link for pullchain replacement:

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

The light does work now, but the fan doesn't. The problem is that the color wires we have are not the colors that anyone (including the company that sells the fans) says should be in the fan.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 06:06 PM
    What colors are they?

Mar 27, 2007, 11:12 PM
    what colors are they?
    Blue, Brown, Orange, Pink. According to King of Fans, they have absolutely no idea how we got these wires! A little frustrating...
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
    No black? I'm not sure either I don't recall that combination offhand. What model fan is it, do the still make it?

Mar 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
    No black. See the problem? It is the Renaissance II, Model #129857. I don't know if they make it any more.
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 07:24 PM
    There's not always a black, and black is not always hot, but it sure makes it harder to figure out.

I can't find the model online. I have a few thoughts:

1. King of fans does not, did not, make ALL Hampton Bay ceiling fans. SMC made some, Minka Group made others, etc.

2. The fan is still under warranty, if you return the whole thing to Home Depot they should exchange it for whatever the current version of that model is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to reinstall a Hampton Bay ceiling fan (Model 44F8). There are 4 wires in the ceiling; two of which are still connected. The fan itself has 3 wires... black and red (they are connected); red is the light and black is the motor; the single white wire is marked neutral. What do I...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan: fan speed pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

The pull chain controlling the fan speed snapped off inside the unit. How much disassembly is required to replace it?

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan wiring question [ 2 Answers ]

I've wired the ceiling myself but light bulbs keep making constant noise when turned on. Not knowing much about electrical stuff, I suspected that I've mis-wired the ground or something. Can someone verify my wiring and suggest what could be wrong? Fan-----Ceiling ---------------...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I need some help with wiring a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan. The fan is multi-speed and has a light as well. This house was pre-wired for the ceiling fan and has a white, black, red & copper wire. There is a separate switch for the fan and the light that are both right next to each other. The...

View more questions Search