Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bowdens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Wire needed for a 100 amp sub panel?
    I am installing a 125 Amp Sub panel in a detached shed approximately 100' from the house. The subpanel has a 100 amp main breaker in it and I have a 100 amp breaker that will go in the main house panel to feed it. I will be using #4 copper THHN for my 2 hot conductors and neutral conductor and a #6 for my grounding conductor. My question is, do I need to install a ground rod at the sub panel and does the subpanel neutral bar need to be bonded with the grounding electrode conductor. I am thinking I do not need the ground rod or nor do I need to bond the neutral and grounding electrode together, but I am just not sure. Can someone please clarify this for me?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Yes, for the panel in the shed a ground rod is necessary at the shed, AND the neutral shall NOT be bonded to the equipment ground in the shed panel.

This is outlined in the NEC Section 250.32 Two or More Buildings Supplied from a Common Service(A) & (B)1. of the NEC.
    bowdens Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 05:41 AM
    TK, thank you so much for verifying that for me. My mind is now at ease...
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2007, 06:02 AM
    No problem, have a great time pounding away, watch the hand holding the rod.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

200 amp panel feeding a 100 amp panel roughly 130' away [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, We are building a apartment above the garage,my question is what size wire do I need to run from the 200 amp panel to the 100 amp panel roughly 130' away? I want to use aluminum wire as I think copper would be to costly. Thanks for your help in advance, Dude :eek:

100 amp sub panel wire size [ 2 Answers ]

I now have the 100 amp breaker installed in my load panel. I will run wiring from the load panel to a 100 amp sub-panel in an unground 80 schedule PVC. I believe I need to use #2 wire for the hots and the neutral. If this is correct, then what size ground do I use? Number 6? The sub- panel...

100 amp sub-panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can I put a 100 amp sub-panel in my attic? My attic has pull down stairs and is unfinished. I was hoping I can put a sub in my attic to make it easier for numerous runs I have to do on the second floor. I want to be up to code and do not want any issues with homeowners insurance. Thanks, mike

Sub panel on 100 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small single family house with 100 amp service. By my calculations, 100 amps is fine but the panel only has 8 circuits and I am adding a number of circuits with a bathroom/kitchen remodel. I am thinking that adding a subpanel for my kitchen will be cheaper than replacing my main panel...

100 amp panel voltage [ 3 Answers ]

When looking for a problem with a double 15 amp circuit breaker, I measure the voltage at the 2 main feeds. One measured 115 volts and the other only 80 volts. Then disconnecting the main feeds from the 100 amp panel they both were 115 volts. My question is if this is caused by a loose neutral wire...

View more questions Search