Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpr933 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Test light working, but nothing else does.
    When I opened my garage this morning the door went half up and then stopped. I checked the lights and nothing worked. I then unplugged any device that was plugged into the outlet and still nothing. I reset the breaker and used a test light. The test light shows the ground and hot reversed. When I plug anything else into the outlet, nothing will work. Currently none of my outlets have anything in them and all light switches are off. Any ideas? Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 10:33 AM
    If your ground and hot are reversed your breaker won't even reset, it's a dead short. Test again with everything unplugged from the circuit. The door issue may or may not even be related. Many things will stop a door but usually don't disable it. Do you have a sensor that detects movement through the open doorway, are your springs still both intact and not broken? Lets get the electricity going first and then we can tackle the door in addition posts/responses. By the way, your tester, is it the kind that has three prongs and plugs into an outlet and then shows several arrangements of red,yellow,green lights?

Mar 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    If your ground and hot are reversed your breaker won't even reset, its a dead short. Test again with everything unplugged from the circuit. The door issue may or may not even be related. Many things will stop a door but usually don't disable it. Do you have a sensor that detects movement through the open doorway, are your springs still both intact and not broken? Lets get the electricity going first and then we can tackle the door in addition posts/responses. By the way, your tester, is it the kind that has three prongs and plugs into an outlet and then shows several arrangements of red,yellow,green lights?
    The breaker never tripped, and I can reset it. Yes, the tester is the three prong with the 3 lights. Like you said, I am concentrating on getting the power resolved first before I worry about the garage door. The timing just seems odd. I have tested without anything plugged in and it still reads "hot / grd reverse". The only other thing on the circuit is the external lights. But those switches are off anyway.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Is there much else near it on an adjacent circuit? A popular shortcut is to run a hot wire off each leg and one neutral. 3 wires do the work of 4 with the neutral carrying the difference in loads between the circuit. If you have a bad connection in one wire, strange things can happen. Try turning the 2 breakers off above and below the one for the problem circuit. Then test the outlet.

Mar 15, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Is there much else near it on an adjacent circuit? A popular shortcut is to run a hot wire off each leg and one neutral. 3 wires do the work of 4 with the neutral carrying the difference in loads between the circuit. If you have a bad connection in one wire, strange things can happen. Try turning the 2 breakers off above and below the one for the problem circuit. Then test the outlet.
    No luck. I turned off the 2 breakers above and below the problem breaker. Still not power. I even removed a motion light from the garage that I thought may have been causing the problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Turning off the other breakers wouldn't restore the power, just help localize the problem by eliminating the hot/ground reversed reading.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2007, 06:25 PM
    There is a loose or broken connection in the neutral wire of this circuit that is not working, can be anywhere between the panel or at any outlet or junction box the last outlet not working. Each box needs to be opened looking for a loose, broken or burnt connection or splice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 06:52 PM
    I'd follow tkrussels direction starting at the outlet where the opener was plugged. That outlet or one very near it was probably being vibrated by the opener when the wiring failed.

Mar 16, 2007, 10:54 AM
    The problem was found in a junction box under my porch. It looks like one of the wires that should have been twisted together were not making contact. So, we twisted the wires and put the cap back on them. All is working. Thanks everyone for there answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling light stopped working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Last night I turned on the ceiling light in the hallway and it made a popping noise, with a small blue flash at the light, exactly like when a light bulb has just burned out. There are three bulbs in the light fixture and after that none would come on. I changed all three bulbs and the...

Furnace pilot light not working [ 9 Answers ]

My house furnace pilot light not working although repeated several times restart procedures. Not sure what caused this problem.

2000 Honda Civic passed emissions test but failed MIL/Check Engine light [ 2 Answers ]

My 2000 Honda Civic EX had a smog test and it passed the emissions but failed the engine computer test, so they say. They told me to drive the car 30 to 40 miles so that the computer would reset. Sounds a bit strange to me to have to drive that many miles to reset the car computer after the...

Ceiling fan light not working [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a ceiling fan, but two of the four lights don't work. I replaced the light kit but that wasn't the problem. I have a two switch wall switch. I wired the white to white, black to black, blue to blue and ground to ground. Do you think the ceiling fan is defective?

One Light Stopped Working on a Track of 3 [ 2 Answers ]

We have a track light that has been up for a year with no problems. One bulb burned out (we thought). We got a replacement bulb from the hardware store and changed it, but the bulb still won't work. We checked and the bulb is the correct type. It plugs in fine, fits snug, and everything seems...

View more questions Search