Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newby15 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Ground bar in sub panel
    Hi,

I want to wire a 240 Volt sub panel in my garage and I have the 2 live wires, the neutral and a ground wire coming in .

In the sub panel, there is a insulated neutral bar and the 2 connectors for the live wires.

There is a little piece of metal with an instruction for grounding which states the following: If grounding is required, connect steel piece to neutral bar and to box.

The question is: is this acceptable. How does this work? Where do I connect the bare ground wires?

In the main panel I have a ground bar and a neutral bar. The ground bare wires are connected to the ground bar.

Thanks for the help
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2007, 01:37 PM
    The neutral and equipment ground is only connected together at the enclosure for main breaker, or ahead of the main, which seems to be your main panel.

These two are not connected at any other point beyond, or downstream, of the main breaker, which is your subpanel.

So what you have sounds perfectly fine, and acceptable.

To explain why this is so important is another matter, will involve a lengthy detailed explanation that is beyond the scope of this forum, but briefly, I can say hopefully without getting too technical, that the primary reason is to insure the fault current of a short circuit rises high enough (yes this is the one time we want current to flow in very high amounts) and quickly enough to insure the main overcurrent protection device, ( main circuit breaker) will trip quickly.

Another reason, is a neutral is to be considered as a current carrying conductor under normal operation, and an equipment ground is not normally carrying current, only for the purpose of providing a low impedance (AC resistance) path for any short circuit current back to the grounding point, at the main, again to insure the main can trip when needed.

Also, since the neutral is current carrying, and always much larger than an equipment ground, and connection of an equipment ground at both ends to a neutral will allow equal amounts of normal operating current to attempt to flow in both wires, that have been connected in parallel,which usually will be more than the equipment ground can handle.

Whew... how did I do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground/Neutral Bus in Main Service Panel - Is there a Difference? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm preparing to provide new wiring to a sizable addition to a log home. Prior to beginning the new work I mapped my existing circuits thinking it best to correct any potential overloads in the existing panel/circuit design before introducing any new problems on my own. Decided to make a few...

Marble or Granite for a wine bar w/ stainless bar sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Would Marble be an appropriate choice for a bar top that will have a small stainless steel undermount bar sink? I have been quoted the same price for marble or granite. Are these counter tops usually the same price?

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Annoying Internet Bar over the Task Bar [ 1 Answers ]

My grandson has messed around with my computer and an annoying Bar now sits over the Task bar when on the internet. To the extreme left is Internet Explorer logo e] followed by DONE. To the extreme right is a Blue Globe followed by INTERNET. If a URL is clicked the bar then shows :...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

View more questions Search