Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 01:39 AM
    Hurricane sandy in nj need help with bad electric panel?
    Thank God our power came back on line since down Monday, but we only have some circuits in the house with power, I reset all breakers to on but some are still dead. How can there be partial power? How should I begin to troubleshoot?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2012, 04:33 AM
    Sounds like you have only partial power from the utility. The service has two hot legs from utility, you may only have one, as the utility still has problems in your local area.

You may have a problem with your panel, try resetting your Main breaker, and all branch breakers.

To confirm you have partial power , need a voltage tester or meter to test across both hot legs connected to your Main Breaker, should read 240 volts +/-.

Then test from each leg to the neutral bar, (where all white conductors connect), should read 120 volts+/- on each leg.

If you do not have a voltage meter, or if your do not have the knowledge, experience or skills to work on electrical equipment, you should call in an electrician. Working in a live panel requires the proper safety equipment, such as fire rated safety glasses or face shield, voltage rated gloves, etc. A short in a panel can create a fatal arc blast.

You may try calling the utility to see if they can visit to check their equipment .
    shuntripper Posts: 180, Reputation: 8

Nov 4, 2012, 05:58 AM
    One thing you can do in this situation is go outside and look at your service drop from the power pole (this is if your power from the utility comes in on an overhead obviously)

This video is about replacing the fused cutout on a power pole, at the very beginning and the end of the video clip they show it installed on the pole next to the transformer.
    Look for this outside and see if it is hanging down, that means it is"open" , communicating this to the utility company if you can get through to them on the phone will help them correct the problem sooner.
    There are two of these for single phase residential services.
    UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO CORRECT THIS CONDITION YOURSELF, EXTREMELY DANGEROUS

http://www.tdpowerskills.com/node/38

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How will Hurricane Sandy affect the Presidential election ? [ 33 Answers ]

Many states in the North East are without power .PSEG in NJ has said that it would take substantially longer than 7 days to restore all the power . Many States have adopted electronic voting machines . States may make provisions to change the election date for Senator ,House of Reps ;or any...

Could the wind from hurricane sandy have caused smoke detectors to go off ? [ 1 Answers ]

It's very windy, also blew out candles and thought that caused hard-wired, battery backup smoke detectors to go off - all 9 of them simultaneously at midnight. Fanning with air did nothing. After 20 minutes and no reason discovered we pulled the batteries for a few minutes then put them back in. so...

No neutral bus in FP electric panel, what can I do? [ 4 Answers ]

I do know I need to upgrade the box but I need to install my electric dryer immediately for use. I have the breaker ready to install but have come across the problem of I see no neutral bus bar for the neutral wire. What can I do or can I install a bar on my own?

Electric panel? [ 4 Answers ]

What size electric panel for a large all electric house

Secondary panel from main panel electric [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use a number @2 aluminum ser 4 wires for a 100 amp sub panel?

View more questions Search