Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Miranda And Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Does a hot water heater leak smell like ammonia?
    In my son's room it smell like ammonia on his carpet, there is a soaking wet puddle, and the wet spot smell's like ammonia, the hot water heater is in he's closet. We do have a cat and dog but, the wet spot is too big to be theirs. So does a leaking hot water heater smell like ammonia if NOT what could it be??
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Water in a HW tank smells just like it does coming out of your tap. Does it smell like ammonia? Is the leak directly under the tank? Since you do have a cat and a dog, I would suspect animal origin.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Oct 18, 2012, 05:01 PM
    Ammonia smell is most likely cat pee. It's possible the cat peed long ago and it dried. Perhaps the tank is leaking and when it did it re-wet where the cat peed before, thus giving you the smell from the now rehydrated pee, and the volume from the tank. Just a thought. Is the area right around the tank the wet spot?
    Miranda And Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    Ammonia smell is most likely cat pee. It's possible the cat peed long ago and it dried. Perhaps the tank is leaking and when it did it re-wet where the cat peed before, thus giving you the smell from the now rehydrated pee, and the volume from the tank. Just a thought. Is the area right around the tank the wet spot?
    It is, but it's so leak so much that it spread all over. We had to turn off the water to the house.
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Oct 19, 2012, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Miranda And View Post
    It is, but it's so leak so much that it spred all over. We had to turn off the water to the house.
    You should be able to shut off the water going to the HW tank, rather than the whole house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my cat got a stronge ammonia smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 10yr old persion that has a toilet pod that she uses but has now started weeing by the front door even though she is let out she still wees and the wee has a strong amonia smell why is this

Water heater leak (cold side only) where the nipple meets the water heater [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a water heater and completely installed it. When I turned on the water supply, a very very very slow drip can be observed where the cold water nipple screws into the water heater. I shut off the water, relieved the pressure and unscrewed the nipple. I then re-apply the teflon tape...

Smell from toilet what has to do with ammonia? [ 1 Answers ]

Please answer me soon. I had to leave soon

Leak in slab from water pipe from water heater [ 4 Answers ]

Looks like I need help. Would like an overall on what I can expect when I talk to a plumber. And should I have all pipes replaced (house 60 years old), how long should this take, what would cost range be for job in southern CA? Should all piping be checked for cracks. House is very small so this...

View more questions Search