Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dennisnheather Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
    Wiring the 100 amp service meter
    I am running new mast wires for my 100 amp service, I have been told that the neutral wire is not to be broken at the meter but the conector in the meter as no holefor this wire to pass through without being broken what do I do.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
    Who told you this? I've never heard that before.
    The only thing I would guess is that it is a local amendment, but even that is unlikely.
    jerro Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jul 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
    Not sure why someone would tell you not to break the neutral wire in the meter base. Every residential meter that I have wired always has 2 connections in the center of the meter base. One for incoming neutral and one for the neutral going to the service.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2012, 02:43 AM
    Old wives tale, I am sure you noted there are two mechanical connectors in the center for two neutral conductors?

Some neutral connectors in meters allow for laying in an uncut wire, if you desire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service single lug meter [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 amp meter with single load side lugs. Presently my house is tied to these lugs. I'm building a remote garage which will require a 100amp feed. Tieing the house to the garage is not doable due to the location of the driveway. I would like to have the existing 200 amp meter feed...

100 amp service entry wire replaced, any panel or meter base codes [ 11 Answers ]

If replacing the service wire that has exposed wires, is there a requirement to do any upgrades regarding panel or meter base?

Wiring 2 Gang Meter Socket w/ 100 & 200 Amp Meters [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Are you allowed to use a 2 gang 200 amp meter socket to feed (1) 200 AMP panel and (1) 100 AMP panel, or do all meters in same enclosure have to be the same (200 AMP)? If the above is allowed: What size wire would I need from weather head to meter socket? Would I then run...

100 amp main, 100 amp service wire, 200 amp sub panel? [ 2 Answers ]

I am moving my sub panel and upgrading to a 200 amp service, but in phases. The first phase is to move the panel due to some remodeling. I want to put a 200 amp panel in the laundry room with a 200 amp breaker. I have 100 amp feeder wire going to it (AL 2/2/2). Outside I have the meter can and...

View more questions Search