Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Racerx1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2012, 08:14 AM
    How to wire a light fixture with red black and white wires
    Installing outdoor light fixture. Fixture has a white, a black and a green ground wire.
    There are two switches and a sensor in the garage. The wiring on the wall outside the house to the fixture has a red, a black and a white wire. How should the wires be connected for proper operation of the two switches and the light sensor?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Most need the black and white to have power or switched power to the fixture, and when It detects motion or gets dark(whichever sensor used), then the red is usually out to the bulbs themselves.
    Why 2 switches?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
    There are two switches and a sensor in the garage.
    What does each of the switches do?
    What kind of sensor, motion detector or what? Not usual to have sensor inside garage for outside light.

Are there any other outside lights?

The wiring on the wall outside the house to the fixture has a red, a black and a white wire.
    Is that all the wires in the box?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing light fixture- wires ( red, black and white?) [ 24 Answers ]

Just changed light fixture. When I put the power back on the light worked but the switch on the wall will not shut the light off. In the ceiling there was 3 wires. One black,one white and one red. The fixture that I put up has only black, white and ground. So I attached the black to black,...

Wiring new fixture, red,black and white wires [ 15 Answers ]

From switch many white wires,wire nutted together, black to switch, red to switch. From ceiling, whites nut together black nut together ,red nut together.one black wire Hanging down from previous light fixture, one red, and one white. Which wires do I use for Fixutre which has one white...

New ceiling light has black, white, red and ground wire. Ceiling wires are... [ 5 Answers ]

Black, white and ground. What do I do with the extra red wire in the new light kit? I didn't have a ceiling fan nor do I want one. Thanks.

What wires do I use to hook up a ceiling light I have a red black and white [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Red, White and Black and copper wire coming out of my ceiling and my new light fixture has just a ground and a wire that has to be split, my question is what wires do I hook to from the ceiling... ie black/white red/black red/white?

I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light [ 2 Answers ]

I have three white and three black wires out of my ceiling how do I wire a light

View more questions Search