Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RDMD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Wiring a ceiling fan
    I have a red, white and black wire coming from our ceiling and a white and black coming from the fan... does the red go with the black when wiring... and white with white.

RH
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2012, 04:25 AM
    It sounds like you have wires for both a fan and a fan light. Are there two switches on the wall? If so, one would turn the fan on/off and the other would turn the fan's light on/off.

Your fan should have a (generally) blue wire for its light. You would connect ceiling-white to fan-white, ceiling-black to fan-black, and ceiling-red to fan-blue. However, if there is no light, there will not be a blue wire. In this case just cap off the red wire in the ceiling and coil it up out of the way.

I hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter fan ceiling fan remote override wiring [ 0 Answers ]

Hunter ceiling fan with light; wall switch has one switch that goes to light and one switch that goes to fan. There is one white wire and one black wire coming from switches into fan receiver. There is a blue and white wire going from receiver to light. There are 4 wires going from receiver to fan,...

Wiring Ceiling Fan with no white wire in ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in an old house (about 60+ years). I have a new ceiling fan with 4 wires, black, blue, white, and green. On the ceiling, there are only three wires, 2 copper wires (unfortunately no colors, just a dark covering over both), and a green wire, which has...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 6 Answers ]

I have an ambassador ceiling fan from harbor breeze. I hooked up a double wall switch one switch works the light the other works the fan. The problem I am having is that no matter how I wire the ceiling fan up,the left side of the switch only works .and I can only get either the lights to work or...

Ceiling fan wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I had an OLD ceiling fan that had an old dimmer switch to adjust fan speed.I remodeled and changed the house wires.I have that part covered.the issue I have is how do I change the internal wiring of the fan to remove the 3 position switch and use the new slide style dimmer switch?

Ceiling fan wiring, 2 blk, 2 what, 1 red, 1 grn from ceiling [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to install a hampden bay minuet 2 fan. The prexisting ceiling wires consist of two black, two white, 1 red, and my ground wire. A basic lite fixture was installed previously and controlled by a single wall switch. The wall switch has 1 red on the bottom and two black on the top...

View more questions Search