Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GSaki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 02:02 PM
    Ceiling Fan Operating On Its Own
    I recently purchased a Crosswinds ceiling fan and had it installed.
    We do not have a designated wall switch to operate the fan, so we had to get a model with a remote (high ceilings). The light seems to pop on at various times during the day and now the fan also turns on by itself. Besides the easiest answer of a ghost, what could possibly cause this problem? A short? Crossed wires? My wife is ready to move out, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
    I think the DIP switches were left at factory settings, I would change the code on transmitter and receiver.
    Not all offs, all ons ar alternate, try a random set on both.
    Neighbor may have the same fan?
    Handy Bear Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2012, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I think the DIP switches were left at factory settings, I would change the code on transmitter and receiver.
    Not all offs, all ons ar alternate, try a random set on both.
    Neighbor may have the same fan?
    Stratmando is right on the money. The fan remote uses a RF signal that can travel over 100 feet. All fans in the house should be reset to unique dip switch settings prior to installation so they will not inadvertently control other fans.

I am a handyman and I change the settings even if there are no other remote fans in the house.

Please ensure that the setting for the remote matches the setting in receiver under the fan's canopy.

P.S. The installer should be made responsible, he should know better.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 04:38 PM
    You guys are very likely correct about a neighbor's signal, changing the switches should do it but I am unclear why you think the installer should have known better.
    Handy Bear Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jul 9, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Any time a customer pays for a service there is a reasonable assumption of competence. Therefore, as a professional, the installer should be held accountable for not changing from the factory setting as recommended in the installation instructions. I know it's recommended as I install ceiling fans all the time.

I would expect nothing less than to have my customers hold me accountable for the quality and competence of my work.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 9, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Stratmando offered a thought about factoy settings and now it's a fact and we are blaming the installer? That is kind of a stretch. For all we know, factually, the installer may have changed the codes and a neighbor picked the same code. BTW we have not factually established that there is a neighbor using the same code. There are many devices using RF signals such as door openers, TV remotes. I have a 433 hz wireless thermometer that can turn on my garden low voltage lights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan lights & fan not operating [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, appreciate any help. It just stop working can't honestly say what stop working first or if it happened at the same time. The switch at the wall is working. So I'm assuming it is getting power? I took the bulbs out and disconneted the lower unit by glance everything appears to be fine. I...

My Harbor Breeze ceiling fan remotes (2) are operating the same fan. [ 1 Answers ]

One of my fans will not work with either remote and both remotes work the same fan. They are both installed in a vaulted ceiling living room. Any tips on how I can get the right remote to work the right fan?

Trying to wire ceiling fan switch and 2-3way light switches for ceiling lht/fan combo [ 5 Answers ]

I have 1 single pole switch for fan, and 2 three way switches to run light only. The power in is by the double box that will house the fan switch and the #1 light 3way. The other box houses the other three way switch. My fan switch is turning the light on and off, the three ways are doing nothing....

Hunter Ceiling Fan/Lights not Operating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hunter celiing fan (remote, is on a wall switch amd does not have pull chains) that has worked with no problems for 8+ years. A few weeks ago it would only rotate in one direction. Then a week later it started to work in both directions again. It worked well for about a week, but now...

Remote control ceiling fan operating itself? [ 1 Answers ]

Came home tonight to find my ceiling fan off kilter. The fan is intentionally left running all day with the light off. Tonight, the fan part was running while the light part kept cycling from low to high as if someone was playing with a dimming switch. Thought that perhaps the remote battery was...

View more questions Search