Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sixpack_sid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Need Help Hooking up a 50 AMP Welder
    I have a 200 amp breaker box in my house. I have a 60 amp breaker box running off that to a garage about 100 feet away. I also have 30 amp breaker box running from the garage to a 2nd garage 5ft away. I bought a welder that needs a 50 amp outlet. I need to add a double pole 50amp breaker for the welder. Is there any possible way that I can hook into the 60 amp box in the 1st garage to use the welder? I have 3 open spaces in an 8 space Square D box. It currently has: 1- 20 amp breaker w/4 outlets, 1 - 20 amp breaker w/4 outlets, 1 - 15 amp breaker that has 2 light switches, 1 double 20 amp breaker for an Air Compressor, and 1 double 30 amp breaker that goes to the 2nd garage. If I don't run the air compressor when I use the welder, would it be possible to hook it into the box? Will I run the risk of a fire or trip breakers? Or is there another way I can run it to make it work?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
    Sid...
    Hard to be accurate here, but why not try it and see if the breakers hold?
    If any of them do trip you may have to think about an upgrade...
    Try to turn off as much as you can, I think you'll be okay as the load on your
    Welder is likely 80% or less of the 50 amp plug rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a 60 amp welder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to wire my 60 amp 230v welder. I will not be installing a sub panel. A total distance of 30 ft from panel to outlet The questions I have is. 1. what advantages/diss advantage to using 6ga #2 over thhn (vise versa) 2. the wires will not be inside the wall 3. why is thhn...

Hooking a computer to an older amp? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a home built intel PC with dual 2.4 gig procs, and it works well, but I want to see if I can hook it up to a really old but functional amplifier. Can this be done and how please? The amp is a kenwood solid state stereo tuner amplifier with several inputs and outputs, its max output...

Hooking up a AMp to a comp... [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard nothing about hooking up a amp to a computer... I have pulled the ittle computer amp out of the computer... so how would I hook up an amp and subs to it... or just subs?

View more questions Search