Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rltkktlr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 10:41 AM
    Water pump circuit breaker
    Water Pump CB trips, but not always. Seems to trip when pump not running. There is a buried 115 volt ;underground cable running to well. Well about 125 feet. As an example right now the pressure is 40psi, pump comes on at 30 goes off at 50, so pump off but CB tripped, will sometime not be able to reset right away, but right now I reset it and did not trip but will probably trip again before pump is signaled to come back on at 30psi. I Tried the easy CB replacement but no help. Could a pressure switch malfunction while pump off, cause cb to trip? Would be easy fix but I feel wishfull thinking like the CB replacement. I am north of Duluth, MN and proplem started shortly after 8 inches of rain. So maybe ground saturated, but should that effect solid Wiring? But With it happening after the rain I Feel that's related. Any help greatly appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 8, 2012, 11:15 AM
    Most likely a damage electric line to well. Moisture in ground triggers short circuit. Can be confirmed by disconnecting line at well head and at pump switch and runninng a temporary line. Another possibility is line down the well has a short or even pump is defective. Run temporary line before doing all that digging or pulling pump. Switch will not cause fault.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Circuit breaker characteristics water pump [ 0 Answers ]

I have water pump 20HP but it start in Y connectionbut when convert to delta C.B. make trip what type of C.B. I can use

Water pump circuit breaker tripping [ 0 Answers ]

We had a thunderstorm followed by power outage last night, this morning I went to use the water and it slowly went dead. I began by inspecting the pressure tank and pressure control switch, then found the outside water pump breaker was tripped, upon resetting the water was back on! But wait,...

Why my circuit breaker keeps tripping in a submersible water pump? [ 13 Answers ]

We live in the lower Hudson Valley of New York State where currently we're getting lots of rain. Is it possible that something happened to the wiring causing a short circuit? Water pump will trip 20-25 seconds immediately after being reset. Right afterward, it will trip again within 10-15...

Why is my circuit breaker keep tripping on a submersible water pump [ 1 Answers ]

I have a submersible water about 300 feet or so. When the breaker trips I turn it on it stays on for a little bit 10 to 30 minutes then trips. What's wrong, all this started after a bad rain storm.

Water Pump Circuit Breaker [ 3 Answers ]

When I was taking a shower at my cabin, my water shut off. I went to the circuit breaker and it had tripped. I could not get in back on initially. When I did turn it back on the pump still would not turn on. What happened? The pump is only 2 years old. Thanks, Zelly

View more questions Search