Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    440volt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 10:42 PM
    electrical questions answers
    I'm remodeling the kitchen and putting in new appliances . Im putting a 220 line in for a double oven where the refrigerator once was. The outlet where the oven is going is a 4 x 4 box with 1/2" EMT from the breaker box. Two questions:

1. Will 1/2 " EMT accomidate two 8 gauge hot wires and two 10 gauge wires for ground and nuetral.

2. With about a twenty foot run from the breaker box to the appliance direct connect box, can I use smaller than 8 or 10 gauge wire for the ground and nuetral?

Thanks in advance.
    Will County, IL. College Grad Age 60
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 04:16 AM
    I did the wire fill calculation for you, for 2 - #8 and 2- #10 THHN wire, in 1/2" EMT. Conduit will allow .122 sq in at 40% fill of wire, and the wire adds up to .1154 sq in of volume.

These wires will just fit in that conduit, just barely legal.

No electrician would do this. If at all possible, change out the conduit to 3/4", but I suspect the reason your asking is to change the conduit would be difficult.

You may want to use wire lube, be sure it is rated for wire pulling. DO NOT USE soap, oil, etc.

Yes, the neutral can be #10 THHN copper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical questions answers [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lighting circuit with no earth, what size earth cable shall I put in please? Thank you

Electrical questions and answers [ 13 Answers ]

I am reading 120v to my ceiling fan (where fan connects to ceiling) even when the switches to the fan are in the off position. I have check all wiring connections and they seem to be fine. I have been in this house for 7 years with no problem. Can't figure this one out. How can it have electricity...

Electrical questions answers [ 2 Answers ]

Is their as certain distance the back of an electrical outlet needs to be from the outside wall and if there is and I don't meet the requirements can I install a nail plate behind it.

Answers to questions on electrical [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 12 volt battery on a boat with a lot hooked to it ,the question is can I use a pos bus bar for the pos stuff and a negative bus bar for the negative stuffwithout doing any harminstead of having many wires hooked at the battery I'll have one pos and one negative.

Electrical questions and answers? [ 1 Answers ]

Have changed over bathroom fan, new one only has 2 connections old one had red yellow and blue, switch outside has red at top yellow at bottom and blue in separate connector block with others, new fan asks only for live and neutral, which wire should go where?

View more questions Search